So as I mentioned in my last post I had made a few items for my brother’s Labor Day bash. What was funny is the morning I made these galettes Papa Fantabulous was at the house helping my hubby on the downstairs remodeling. For them I had made 30 Italian Plum Dumplings (seriously they are the size of baseballs), Hot Sausage Stuffed Banana Peppers and another Blueberry Buckle (this time with bananas). So they had MORE THAN ENOUGH to eat.. or so I thought. Well I was in the shower and apparently they had come up to eat lunch. As I entered the kitchen I see Mr. Fantabulous glaring hungrily at these galettes, knife in hand getting ready to cut one. When he stops, looks at me and says “we can eat these, right?” as the knife just touches the crust. I let out some Xena Warrior Princess shrilling “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPP!!! Those are for Skip’s party!”
People the look of “HOW DARE YOU?” (okay and glare-o-death) I got from my darling husband was priceless. I then got the “Are you serious? I can’t eat these? There’s NOTHING HERE FOR ME TO EAT then!”
Really? No really? There’s NOTHING in this house for you to eat (as I make a mental list in my head of literally 15 different full meals that are prepared in my fridge that they could eat)
Well needless to say I stood my ground, took the knife and said “drink water then if there’s no food here” all the while Papa Fantabulous was giggling and eating his plum dumplings.
So the next day I made my honey his very own to inhale.
Yeah… my darling husband is just a teensy bit spoiled *wink*…
- Sweet Flaky Pie Dough
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup coarse sanding sugar
- 2/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1–2 cups Raspberry or Blueberry filling (can use pie filling)
- Follow directions on how to make a Sweet Flaky Pie Dough.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar, sour cream and flour with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large round circle leaving the dough about a 1/4” thick. The circle should be at least 14” round.
- Transfer the dough to the pan.
- Place the cream cheese filling in the center of the dough spreading it outwards leaving a 2” border.
- Add the fruit filling and gently spread it over top of the cream cheese filling.
- Gently fold the dough over the filling, pleating loosely and pinching to seal any cracks in the dough. You want the center to be exposed.
- Brush the dough with milk.
- Sprinkle liberally with coarse sanding sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Place pan on cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and galette from the pan and let this cool completely on the cooling rack.
- Store in the refrigerator (if it lasts long enough to make it there!)