This has seriously become Mr. Fantabulous’ favorite thing for breakfasty-type foods. Thing is, he eats it at any time of the day. This is often his go-to meal choice after working out. When he has it then I’ll add in some vanilla protein powder while cooking it to give it even more protein. This so good that even if you didn’t like cranberries or oatmeal I bet you’d love it.
See I initially made this up for me after a hard work out and since I *thought* I knew my husband, I only made enough for me. I honestly didn’t think he’d like this with the ginger and the cranberries in it. I went the typical route with him and made him his 2 TKW McMuffins and I this. Well I set his plate down and then came back to the table with mine bowl of this glorious yumminess. People the look of “HEYYYYYYYYYYYY WTH MAN?? DON’T YOU LOVE ME??? ARE YOU MAD AT ME? CAN I HAVE SOME? WHERE’S MINE???” that I got from my darling husband was so priceless that I literally busted out laughing at him – just at his face. He finished his one McMuffin and kept looking at all full of smiles shoveling this into my face as fast as I could. A good portion of the time when I create new recipes like this it’s kind of adhoc. Well this was one that I was thanking Baby Jesus, my lucky stars and the dear heavens for.
- 1 cup whole milk *if using skim or low fat add about 2 Tbl of heavy cream. This will prevent the milk from breaking.
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup fresh/frozen cranberries
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 Tbl Cranberry Relish
- 2 Tbl white chocolate chips
- Shaved white chocolate for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, add milk, ginger and fresh cranberries over low heat.
- When the milk starts to simmer around the edges, add 2 Tbl of cranberry relish.
- Stir to combine.
- When the mixture returns to simmer, add in the white chocolate chips and stir gently for 3 seconds.
- Add in the oats and stir
- Once the mixture has thickened (about 2-3 minutes), remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- Garnish with shaved white chocolate and the remaining 1 Tbl of cranberry relish.
If you want to make this for a post-work out snack, 3 Tbl of vanilla protein powder in when you add the oats. Also, you may want to increase the milk another 3 Tbl.