With Valentine’s Day coming up, I’m trying to go outside the box of the ‘norm’ when it comes to gifts to give. And with me, I go for food. I know my baby loves it and more importantly, he appreciates it.
While making his standard Sunday breakfast (Blueberry pancakes), I was thinking of some dishes I wanted to see if I could make work. I have this great cheese that I was given to work into a chili spice rub recipe, and I knew I wanted to incorporate some bacon in it. Well, that got me sidetracked to thinking of just bacon, admit it, you just smiled when you read bacon *wink*.
I wanted to follow how my Sweet ‘n Heat Bacon Wrapped Pretzels were made and see how I could add a twist to them.
This is what I came up with…
Just LOOK how it glistens. All that candied goodness is just begging to jump on that flavor train to Tummyville! CHOO CHOO buckaroo cause these badboys are headed straight for my belly!
Isn’t it pretty? I WISH they had Smell-o-Net because the aroma of this bacon is unbelievable! It’s sweet and spicy and just so damn yummy! You cannot stop at just one piece. But then again, can anyone stop at just one piece of bacon???
Being the perfect husband, Mr. Fantabulous carries out his breakfast tray (he got breakfast in bed this morning) and spies the bacon. Now I’ve FINALLY got him to the point where he will ask if he can have a piece before he inhales it as often I’ve only made a certain amount that’s needed for a recipe. He reached for it, stopped (as if I mentally smacked his hand), and then asked if he could have some.
I smiled (partially because he asked and partially because he’s just so damn sexy) and said sure but I said “It’s not typical bacon. It’s Man Candy.” He made a face and then shoved it in his mouth. He took 3 steps away, stopped, and said “Ohhhhhhh! That’s sweet and caramel-like.” He then did a few more chews and said “Whoa! It got some heat! Wow, that’s awesome honey! Can I have some more Man Candy?”
To hear him say this I just about died. Never did I think my husband would ask for Man Candy and I could not stop laughing. I bent over crying and said “Sure honey, you can have all the man candy you want. Just save me some, k?” That little brat grabbed the plate, flexed his abs, and said “No, this is the ONLY man candy you are ever allowed to have.” LOL God help me!
However, by now you know me, when I make something that I know he’s going to love I always make extra. Why? Simple… I’d never eat! He eats his and mine 🙂 And yet he never gains a friggen ounce!
So for your baby, this Valentine’s Day, treat them to some Man Candy.Print
- 1 lb thick-cut, high quality bacon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2–3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 3/4 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- Preheat oven to 400F. Combine brown sugar, chili powder, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top. Spray the rack with cooking spray.
- Place the bacon pieces on top of the rack trying not to overlap. Sprinkle the bacon with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika. Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven sprinkle the bacon liberally with half of the sugar-spice mixture trying to coat the top evenly. Return to oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the bacon.
- Sprinkle liberally with the rest of the sugar-spice mixture, evenly coating. Return to the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- If the bacon is not crispy enough (remember it’ll crisp up as it cools), flip the bacon over and bake for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 1 minute on the rack and then using cooking tongs, remove the bacon from the rack and plate.
To help simplify clean up, as these are cooling, fill your sink up with hot soapy water. Remove the bacon from the racks and immediately put your cooling racks in the water. Let soak for 5-10 minutes and clean up is a breeze! *Note – make sure your cooling racks can be submerged in water first!