The other day I was at work chit chatting with my friend Autumn about the website and recipe suggestions and ideas. She had asked if I had a recipe for a chicken type egg roll with bacon and avocado. Now I know I didn’t but trust me that light bulb was burning SUPER bright at her suggestion! So while I worked hard all day at my real job (okay, so part of me was thinking about her suggestion and how I could make it) my stomach was growling. Fortunately when I got home I had chicken already thawed out in the fridge and bacon present (trust me, I learned my lesson about being sans bacon when the craving hits…. it sucks!). And please, I always have avocados on hand.
While I was preparing Mr. Fantabulous some Chicken Burritos I decided to steer these egg rolls in that direction. Now necessarily Mexican per se but more along the line the types of spices I used. I got to chopping and seasoning the bacon and chicken. OMG people the smell of cumin cooking on bacon… WOW! Like I so wanted to dab it behind my ears and wear it like perfume! LOL
Even though this egg roll had a creamy texture, I wanted something to dip it in. I’m a dippin’ kinda girl. Almost EVERYTHING I eat I have to dip. It’s so extreme that I love to dip cold pizza in milk. SHUSHHHHHHHHHH! Quit judging me! LOL
The evolution of this Chunky Avocado Taco Sauce was incredible! Like I seriously at it by the spoonful! Like we’re talking a spoon for the egg roll, a spoon for my mouth. LOL
So for Autumn, this is for you girlfriend! This was such an AMAZING and quick dinner! We fought over these! Since what, Tuesday, I’ve made these twice!
This is such a simple dish to make that works perfectly as a main dish, as an appetizer or movie night snack! OH OH OH! These would be PERFECT for your next game day or say poker with the boys or bunko with the ladies!
What I love most about these is that they bake up super crispy but without all the extra fat calories you get when you deep fry.Print
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/4” strips
- 4 slices, thick cut bacon cut in half
- 8 slices avocado (1/4” thick)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 8 Egg roll wrappers
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Take the chicken strips and add the 1 1/2 taco seasoning and gently mix to coat the chicken. Set aside.
- Place a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Take the ½ tsp cumin and sprinkle that over the bacon.
- Using your fingers, gently rub in.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add in the bacon and cook until crispy, ~5-7 minutes each side.
- When the bacon is done, remove and place on a plate to cool.
- Place the chicken in the pan and cook 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through (~165F).
- Next lay an egg roll wrapper down to where it is in a diamond shape and lightly brush both sides with water. These are often a bit dry so if you do not moisten it, they will crack when you try to roll them.
- Lay down a slice of avocado not quite in the middle of the wrapper.
- Next top with a slice of bacon and then a strip of chicken.
- Begin rolling by taking the bottom and ‘tucking’ under the mixture.
- Bring in the sides and then continue rolling. I tend to take a dab more water to ‘seal’ the edges when I get to the end.
- Set aside and repeat for the remaining wrappers.
- Lightly spray the entire egg roll with cooking spray and set on the cooling rack.
- Bake for 8 minutes, flip, spray again and bake for another 5-8 minutes until golden brown and crispy. I sometimes will broil them for a minute to get that extra crunch.
- To make the dipping sauce simply combine all ingredients in a bowl.