A while back I saw a recipe on Pinterest (isn’t that like the greatest thing ever?!) for coffee cake cookies. Like most of you, I saved the recipe and stored it away. The other day, while working on some test recipes I happened to come across this recipe again. It intrigued me (or it could have been the fact that my stomach was growling and I was starving) – dunno. Anyway, I got to putting this together but with my own spin on it. I changed the ingredients around, added this, took out that and mixed it all about. Okay queue hokey pokey *yeah, that’ll be stuck in your head all day now* You’re welcome <curtsey>
What came out of my oven were these glorious little bites of heaven! These taste almost exactly like my Cinnamon Streusel Pecan Coffee Cake but in a cookie form. That cake is one of my top 5 favorites easily. The true test was Mr. Fantabulous, obviously. Thank GOD that man is willing to try anything I put on a plate in front of him. He truly is the best food critic I know. He’s brutally honest – which, being in this business, you need. He RAVED over these things and then said “You do realize that you will forever have to make these, right??? LOL Yes dear!
These cookies are so tender and soft. I’m telling you the next time you have brunch, or the in-laws over, cards party, lunch with the girls or just because it’s Tuesday, MAKE THESE!
Just look how gorgeous they are! Trust me, if you’re hosting the next card party or afternoon tea, you will OWN it! These cookies will make you the rock star of the kitchen!
Cinnamon Pecan Streusel
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, toasted
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted (4 Tbl)
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup greek vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Cinnamon Pecan Streusel
- In a 12” non stick pan over medium heat add in the pecans and oats.
- Gently stir for 3-5 minutes or until the oats are toasted and the nuts are warmed and you can smell them.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and melted butter.
- Mix with a fork.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place egg, dark brown and light brown sugars mix on medium until mixture is shiny. ~1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer and add in the yogurt, cream cheese, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Turn the mixer on and mix just until blended.
- Add in the softened butter and beat to combine.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and put the paddle attachment in the sink.
- Add in the cinnamon chips and stir with a wooden spoon (or sturdy mixing spoon).
- Add in the flour and mix into wet mixture.
- Take about 1/2 of the cinnamon pecan streusel mixture and fold in just until combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop (or about 1 heaping Tbl) scoop out some dough and gently place it in the cinnamon pecan streusel mixture.
- Lightly press down only coating the top.
- Place the dough ball streusel side up on the pan.
- Repeat leaving 1 1/2” apart.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the edges or lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool on the pan for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an air tight container.
So to Bakers Royale, thanks for the inspiration!