You know people can say what they want about Facebook but honestly I think it is an amazing thing. Due to how much I work and where we live, it’s honestly at times the only way I can talk with my family and friends or ‘see’ them. And with my starting TKW Facebook page I’ve met so many amazing people all over the world. It’s truly been a blessing. Once I graduated high school I lost track of pretty much everyone I was friends with growing up. We all venture out into the world, and make new lives, meet new people. However at times we tend to think back and play the “I wonder” game – wondering how those old friends are doing these days, married, kids and so forth. And yes, truth be told, I wondered if those people who either hated me in school or picked on me for being fat or having frizzy hair, or calling me a loser because I was different ended up themselves being those same things they called me – fat, funky or missing hair or losersl Remember.. being a bully isn’t cool and that kid you picked on may just turn out to be one of the most amazing people to ever come into your life. *as she toots her own horn tyvm* Karma people; karma.
For me I’ve been able to rekindle long-lost friendships that I’ve truly missed and make new friends, even with those that weren’t so kind growing up. But hey, kids are kids. Some grew up for the better; some didn’t and well those people aren’t in my life. That being said I was fortunate enough to get back in touch with a dear sweet girl I went to school with a million years ago. Erin has been asking me for the longest time for a really great recipe for Home Fries. For one reason or another (mostly that I kept forgetting) I never posted one.
This morning before I went out to cut the grass for 4 hours while my sexy Mr. Fantabulous weedwhacked, I made us a hearty breakfast. Nothing fancy, just toast, dippy eggs and home fries. However these home fries are anything but ordinary. These home fries are da bomb! Yes I just said da bomb cause they are THAT FRIGGEN AMAZING! They truly are the Ultimate Crispy Home Fries!
Make these but make extra as you’re gonna eat the whole batch yourself! I’m telling you!
So Erin, this is for you hon!
Look how crispy and golden brown those little tater nuggets are!!! I literally could have just eaten an entire plate of these with a bottle of ketchup! God they were good! I mean really, really, REALLY good!Print
- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup red pepper, seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 4 medium-large red potatoes, skin on and cubed
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2–3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Heat 1 Tbl of oil in a heavy 12” skillet over medium-high heat. Do not let it smoke.
- Add the onion & pepper and cook until browned about 8-10 minutes. Do not let this burn. Stir frequently.
- When done, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- While the onions and peppers are cooking add the potatoes into a large sauce pan.
- Add just enough cool water just until the tops of the potatoes are covered and they float slightly.
- Place the pan over high heat.
- As soon as the water begins to boil, remove from the heat and drain the potatoes in a colander. ~5 minutes.
- In the pan the onions and peppers were sautéed in, place it back on the burner to medium-high and add the butter and remaining oil.
- When the butter foams, add the potatoes in a single layer, making sure each potato is touching the surface of the skillet.
- Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes WITHOUT stirring. You want the sides to brown.
- Once browned on one side, carefully flip and brown the other sides. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once all the sides are crispy brown, add the onions and peppers back in and gently stir.
- Next add in the salt, black, pepper and paprika.
- Stir gently and remove from heat.
If you’re a fan of smoked paprika, this is really good with garlic powder or hot sauce. Maybe some cumin or just plain salt and pepper.
Breakfast is served! And yes, that is ketchup on my hash browns. And YES, after I took this shot I most certainly put ketchup on my egg. Don’t judge me… haha