So living here in da ‘Burgh (Pittsburgh for those that aren’t from da ‘Burgh) it’s been wickedly nasty weather wise ranging anywhere from veritable monsoons and flooding to Sahara-like heat waves with 9,473% humidity to yes, low temps in the 50’s at night. It’s a wonder the entire city isn’t sick from the influx in the temps.
Well one benefit, if you will about really hot and humid weather is that you 1 – don’t want to cook and 2 – you don’t want to eat. The thing is, you’re dying of thirst and it’s often difficult to find something to quench it. Yeah I know “drink water”. I do but ya kinda get tired of it. And I’m sorry but soda/pop whatever you call it NEVER quenches a thirst on a hot summer day. Well okay, maybe for me it doesn’t. This time, I wanted something that I knew was awesome tasting, had flavor and would quench my thirst.
This strawberry basil lemonade chiller fit the bill!
And yes, you can make this as sinful and adult-like you want OR it’s perfectly awesome as a kid-friendly drink!
But if you do add alcohol, please drink responsibly and never, EVER drink and drive! You’re too important to the TKW Family!
It’s ice cold, light and refreshing. The basil adds such a clean, ‘fresh’ flavor that just brightens up this drink. It quenches your thirst and literally makes you crave more!
Now I’m going to be completely honest with you. I had Mr. Fantabulous taste this and he was not a fan HOWEVER this man (you know the VERY Italian man from Queens, New York??) HATES fresh basil. Yeah … “Italian gravy and pretty much everything Italian has basil in it, WTH?” I know, right! He loves it in foods but the smell he can’t stand. To him fresh basil smells like cat pee. LOL lovely, huh? So needless to say I can’t have fresh basil growing in the house as he’ll wander around sniffing for a cat that apparently I’m hiding somewhere in the house. LOL Men!
Anyway, *I* absolutely LOVED LOVE LOVED this drink and I think you will too!Print
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
Strawberry Basil Lemonade
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Water (3 cups for spiked, 5 cups for kid-friendly)
- 1 pound of strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves (almost .5 ounces)
- 2 cups vodka (if spiked – only add the 3 cups of water then)
Make the syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Boil for 5-10 minutes, without stirring or until the sugar is all dissolved.
- Remove from heat and chill before using. ~at least 1 hour
- In a blender, add the strawberries and 1 cup basil leaves and pulse until smooth. Feel free to run the mixture through a sieve if you don’t want the seeds/pulp. I prefer it.
- In a large pitcher, add the lemon juice, water, simple syrup, strawberry-basil mixture and vodka (if using).
- Stir to combine.
- Pour over ice and garnish with a basil leaf and strawberry.
If you do add alcohol, please drink responsibly and never, EVER drink and drive! You’re too important to the TKW Family!