Since Mr. Fantabulous is on this Banana Split kick AND his EPIC failed attempt to make his own, I figured I’d share how to make one. Now for me, I thought it was pretty straight forward but if you saw the picture I posted on our Facebook page of his poor mangled ice cream treat I felt it my civic duty to share this. Even if it’s just for him to read and follow. Trust me, waking me up at 11pm on a work night to discuss where the sauces are and then proceed to show me his banana split (that literally resided in a 3qrt casserole dish – yes 3 quarts!) is not wise. So to my dear darling husband – this is all for you!
First the sauces… for me (and most) a Classic Banana Split consists of 3 scoops of ice cream and then each scoop have their own type of sauce. You have your Pineapple Sauce, Hot Fudge (for some reason it always goes in the middle) and then your Strawberry Sauce.Print
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 large scoop of vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 large scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1 large scoop strawberry ice cream
- 2 tablespoon Hot Fudge Sauce, warmed
- 2 tablespoon Strawberry Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Topping
- 2 tablespoon Pineapple Ice Cream Topping
- 2 tablespoon crushed peanuts
- whipped cream
- Peel the banana and split in half, lengthwise and place in shallow serving bowl so they nestle against the sides of the bowl.
- Place the ice cream scoops in the center of the bowl in this order – vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.
- Spoon the pineapple topping on top of the vanilla ice cream.
- Spoon the strawberry vanilla bean topping on top of the strawberry.
- Spoon the hot fudge sauce on top of the chocolate ice cream.
- Top each scoop of ice cream then with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle on crushed nuts.
- Top with a cherry or 3.
Now the type of ice cream, if you want standard are Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry though I’ve notice that most places nowadays do all vanilla bean. *shrugs* Here, he gets what I have on hand… I mean it gets smothered in all those sauces anyway, right?!