Decadent chocolate crepes filled with rich chocolate ganache cream and fresh raspberries.
Make breakfast or brunch special when you serve these over-the-top delicious crepes! They are almost dessert-ish and absolutely delicious!
So SOMEONE (not mentioning any names… darling sister Dianna) said the ‘C’ word to Mr. Fantabulous. The ‘C’ word in my house is Crepe. See Mr. Fantabulous LOVES crepes beyond words. Now it wouldn’t be such a big deal if he ate a normal amount however there is nothing normal about his consumption of these.
At a minimum, I have to make 12 at a time. He literally inhales these and most often does what he can to stand next to me at the stove, 2 crepe pans going at once eating them as soon as they come out. And God forbid someone does mention the ‘C’ word (darling sister dear) and I don’t make him them that day.
You’d think I done shot the dog, deprived him of Christmas, and wrecked his Camaro. No seriously it’s our playful little ways with each other. It makes life fun and cute.
So as I made him my Classic French Crepes I decided *I* wanted to play with the recipe a bit for me. I mean I get tired of the same ‘ol, same ‘ol. Plus I wanted chocolate… for breakfast. Hey! Don’t judge me! Women are allowed to have chocolate for breakfast! It’s like the law or in wedding vows.. or something like that.
As I prepped his batter I decided to make a chocolate version for me. Yes, it was the night before; wasn’t even breakfast time and yes I knew I wanted chocolate for breakfast. It’s a girl thing; go with it. It’s kinda like when you meet your soul mate. When you know, you know!
Now by the time I was whisking together this batter, Mr. Fantabulous came out to the kitchen for his nightly snack he saw me making something. Now he already knew I was making him crepes, HOWEVER…
yes, there’s a, however… he THOUGHT these were his.
Now this man is pretty adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. I mean look who he’s married to. He has no choice but to try new stuff otherwise, it’s “Hello Cheerios!” for dinner. Well okay, that’s not entirely true. I’d most likely make him his own stuff. Yes, he’s spoiled but it’s what I do. As he stood there making the face I just whisked away all the while giggling on the inside. I so love messing with him. I know, I’m evil *wink*. Finally, he said “Woman (again with the woman thing), I thought you are making crepes for tomorrow. WTH is that chocolate stuff?”
Without missing a beat I said ‘Chocolate crepe batter honey. I’m in the mood for chocolate for breakfast. I want to try something new.”
Oh yeah, this went over like a lead balloon with him. The look of “HONEY how could you!!!” was just too priceless. Seriously this man is so unbelievably sexy and when he gives me that innocent sad face it’s all I can do not to just grab his face in my hands and smother it with kisses.
Now I can be cruel (in a fun way) but it doesn’t last long. I just told him to open up the fridge and look. There he saw 8 cups of crepe batter just for him. Yes, 8 cups. Now if you’re wondering how many crepes 8 cups makes… um, a lot. No, like A LOT! But per Mr. Fantabulous, there are never enough crepes. Ever. So off went both batters into the fridge to rest overnight and my butt went to bed. The next morning while he was off in sleepy town I got to work on these. A quick stir of the batter and in the pan some went.
In standard crepe fashion, these cook up in no time (which is probably one of my favorite things about making them). I had bought some Hershey’s chocolate cream spread and knew I had to put that in these. Just a tablespoon or so smeared in this chocolate piece of breakfast was all it took for me to fall in love!
These crepes are light and tender with a great chocolate flavor! I wanted over-the-top chocolate flavor thus is why I went with the chocolate cream filling. However, after my 2nd one, I felt guilty. I mean it’s chocolate for breakfast. I could justify it being good for me, healthy and whatnot if it had dark chocolate in it but it didn’t. So I put in some fresh raspberries. These added a great tartness to the cocoa flavor.
Cocoa Health Benefits!
Wait a minute!!! OMG I’m a genius!!! This has cocoa in it!!!
- Cocoa has a TON of health benefits!!!
- In addition to decreasing blood pressure and improving blood vessel health, consumption of flavonoid-rich cocoa decreased “bad” LDL cholesterol among people under age 50, and increased good HDL cholesterol.
- Flavonoid-rich cocoa consumption also was linked to reductions in risk factors for diabetes — a major risk factor itself for cardiovascular disease.
- Also, resistance to the hormone insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar, favorably dropped among people who consumed flavonoid-rich cocoa, compared to people in comparison groups.
AH HA! You CAN have chocolate for breakfast and not feel guilty! Um….you’re welcome!
Chocolate Ganache Cream
Ganache is nothing more than heavy cream and chopped chocolate. You can use chopped chocolate blocks or really good chocolate chips.
- To make it simply heat the cream over a double boiler until it starts to bubble around the edges. Do not boil it. If you don’t want to do that, you can microwave the cream in 10-15 second increments.
- Once the cream is heated through, add the chocolate and, this is important, LET IT SIT. You do not want to stir it. Let it sit for 5 minutes before you whisk … slowly!
- Slowly whisk together the chocolate and cream until it’s smooth and silky. Now, set it off to the side and let it cool until it’s soft but spreadable. You don’t want it to be liquid.
- If, when you go to add this to your cookie and it’s too hard, just microwave for 5 seconds and stir.
As I was cleaning up the pans Mr. Fantabulous came out to the kitchen rubbing his sleepy eyes and letting out a huge yawn. However, it’s funny because as soon as he saw the crepe pans this man was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! And just like always he stood right beside me “helping me out” by rolling them and inhaling them just as fast as I could make them. LOL #solovethatman
Chocolate Crepes with Chocolate Cream and Raspberries
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water (if making gluten free increase the water to 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup flour (regular or gluten free)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
- Chocolate cream spread
- Fresh raspberries
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl, cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight if possible
- Melt a teaspoon of butter in a crepe pan over medium heat.
- Pour 2 ounces of batter in the center of the pan and swirl around in circles to spread evenly. *If making gluten free, you will have to spread this out with a rubber tipped spatula)
- Cook for 30 seconds to a minute on one side (until lightly golden).
- Flip and cook for 15 seconds.
- Plate and repeat.
- To serve spread a tablespoon of chocolate cream spread on the lower quarter of the crepe.
- Top with a few raspberries.
- Fold in half and half again.
Looking for more awesome crepe recipes?
Harvest Spice Pumpkin Crepes with Cinnamon Cream Filling
What started it all…
Recipe Reviews & Comments
Wow, these chocolate crepes are glorious! I also love all the filling ideas you gave. I’m good with chocolate squared, so I will stick with shoving more chocolate inside these beauties. And maybe a berry or two. For health reasons!
Jan Withington says
Looks so good! Will be making a gluten free version.
Just wanted to say, I LOL when I saw this. I made chocolate crepes for hubby, having bought a flat if strawberries. He NEEDS a trest before bed, otherwise I am “fired” lol. Didn’t have any flour, so u created a new PERFECT version. 4 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, 4 TBS corn starch and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (more or less), then discovered had NO SUGAR, so I added about 1/4 cup of Splenda granular and some HWC. Made about a dzn crepes, first one seemed a bit bitter, so added more splenda and remixed. Then perfect. After they were done, I made fresh whipped cream, using SF vanilla latte syrup for flavor. DELICIOUS. had NO cream cheese, so I filled it with whipped cream, strawberries, rolled them and topped with more whipped cream and more strawberries. MIL lives with us and LOVED it. HUBBY went crazy and loved it too. It made about a dzn, no flour or sugar,so guess it’s “diet”? LOL. Low carb? Probably!!÷ thanks so much!
HAHAHA you’re “fired” – are we married to the same man? I love it! I’m all for calling your ‘diet’ 🙂 So thrilled that you guys loved it and that you get to keep your ‘job’ *wink* LOL
Best Kitchen Wishes!