One-Bite Southwestern Stuffed Potatoes delights! Get your yum on in just minutes!
This post has been sponsored by Side Delights® Potatoes through Kitchen PLAY.
Folks have I got a recipe that will seriously be one of your new favorite recipes! Seriously, since taking the first set of photos I’ve literally made this recipe 6 times thus far. Not because I messed up the photos but because these Southwestern stuffed potatoes are THAT GOOD! I’ve been a huge fan of Side Delights® potatoes for a while now ever since I found them at my local market. They come in all different shapes and sizes PLUS they come in these Steamables™ bags which, to be quite honest, have been a godsend here lately with the weather being above 90F. Let’s be real – when it’s that hot, the last thing you want to do is turn on the oven and heat up your kitchen.
With these Steamables™ you don’t have to! But wait, I’m getting ahead of myself here. Can you tell I’m excited to share this recipe? *smile* ANNNNNNNNNNNND there’s a giveaway too!!!
Growing up I literally ate 3 vegetables – corn, canned peas (don’t judge me) and potatoes. That’s it. Now that I’m just a wee bit older *wink*, I have immensely expanded my love of veggies but potatoes are still my number one go-to veggie. They are so versatile, come in a variety of shapes, sizes and flavors. Thankfully Side Delights® has me covered!
All of their potatoes come from the best producing areas in North America::
- North Dakota
- Prince Edward Island
Because of this, they are able to provide you and I the highest quality fresh and value-added potatoes from regional operations. And since they are delivering “grown close to home” they are able to reduce food miles and emissions from transportation. Which means fresher food, faster to us. All of these potatoes are part of the Fresh Solutions Network. I’ll get into that a bit later. I need to tell you about this recipe first – seriously, it’s THAT GOOD!!!
Side Delights® sent me a huge box (thank you by the way!!!) of all types of their potatoes. Various types and sizes of their Steamables™, bags of assorted baby red/golden and purple mix and their new Flavorables®. I seriously hit the tater jackpot! I was like a little kid at Christmas as I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make first. What I love about their potatoes is that they are FRESH and taste amazing! Whether I’m roasting up the fingerling potatoes with some garlic butter or boiling up some of the baby potatoes for parslied potatoes I know that each and every time my potatoes are going to be PERFECT!
These potatoes are perfect because of the Fresh Solutions Network partners. They are independent operating communities that grow, pack, sell, and deliver potatoes and onions to grocery stores and food services throughout the US and Canada. The operation spans more than 65,000 acres which allows for them to deliver supply-side efficiency and quality through state-of-the-art operations. Making up this Fresh Solutions Network are the following partners:
- Basin Gold – Comprised of growers/shippers in Washington and Oregon that specialize in growing fresh potatoes and onions. The Cooperative was formed in 1994 making up over 15,000 acres allowing them to provide customers with a quality source of produce on a year-round basis!
- Masser Potato Farms – Eight generations of potato farming experience on 4,600 acres. They also package and distribute over 250 million pounds of potatoes each year!
- Mack Farms – 2 generations started in 1967, growing potatoes, watermelons, squash, sweet onions and cabbage. These farms specialize in red and yellow potatoes along with white, russet, and fingerling potatoes.
- Michael Family Farms – Four generations of potato farmers working together to keep the passion and innovation moving forward for future generations to enjoy.
- Red Isle Potato Growers – A multi-generational (Six generations thus far) fresh potato grower, packer, and shipper organization located in Prince Edward Island, Canada. The Island’s rich, red, sandy soil, clean air and water, and its long cold winters that naturally cleanse the soil, provide the perfect environment for growing high-quality potatoes with a uniquely delicious flavor.
- NoKota Packers – This three generation potato grower ships red potatoes from the Red River Valley of North Dakota and Minnesota.
- Sun-Glo of Idaho – A fourth-generation dating back to the early 1900’s, family-owned Crapo Family grower, packer and shipper of premium quality fresh Idaho® Russet Burbank potatoes.
- Green Thumb Farms – Located in Maine’s Mount Washing Valley, this third generation potato grower farms 2.200 acres of a well-irrigated, rock-free soil in an area that envelops us in natural beauty.
I’m that person that can seriously just eat a plate of potatoes as a meal. These potatoes are a crowd-pleaser and honestly, you really don’t need to add all types of ingredients to make them delicious. These potatoes, on their own, are amazing! Plus with the Steamables™ package the cook time is so convenient and there’s hardly any clean-up! Hey, we all lead busy lives, no one wants to spend forever in the kitchen just prepping a dish and then even longer cooking it! With Side Delights® potatoes you know you’re getting great food, fast!
Since the Flavorables® were new to me I had to make those first. They come in 3 flavors:
- Chimichurri Seasoning: blend of roasted garlic, cilantro and lemon
- Smokin’ Tomato Seasoning: blend of roasted tomatoes, garlic and chives
- Malaysian Curry Seasoning: blend of chili pepper, lemon grass, ginger & lime
These potatoes are triple-washed which means they are ready to cook, season and eat! PLUS (which I’m loving because it’s a million degrees here in Pittsburgh), they are microwaveable! The 1 lb. package cooks in 5 minutes and it’s perfect for 2 people as a side dish. Just remove the cardboard and seasoning kit, microwave and when it’s done, carefully peel back the plastic, drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle on the seasoning. I opted to go with the Smokin’ Tomato Seasoning. OMG, talk about sooooooooooo good!!! They literally needed NOTHING else added. Since we didn’t finish them all, I saved the rest to chop up into a killer breakfast burrito! Plus they are made with pure and natural ingredients which deliver an excellent flavor that is Gluten-free and Vegan!
Have you visited their recipe section yet? OMG YUM!!! Looking at their site I decided to whip up their Southwestern Stuffed Potatoes. I mean it’s stuffed with cheese and topped with guacamole! HELLO YES! Now that recipe talks about baking the potato which you can most certainly do but I had zero intention of turning on the oven in this heat so I reached for the Steamables™ potatoes. There were so many varieties to choose from:
- Red potatoes
- Golden potatoes
- Russet potatoes
- Purple potatoes
- Fingerling potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Medley Potatoes
- Duo potatoes
Since the Duo is new I had to go with that! If you’ve never made these potatoes before, oh people you are in for a treat! Seriously you DO NOTHING but put the unopened bag FRONT SIDE DOWN in the microwave. DO NOT pierce the bag. Microwave on HIGH for 8 to 9 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute and enjoy! Seriously, that’s it!
This entire recipe was done in under 20 minutes – including making guacamole! I think what took the longest was hulling out the potatoes! If you have a teeny melon baller you can use that or just a rounded teaspoon scoop. Don’t have that, go with an iced tea spoon. One trick I used to make them stand up was to trim just a small amount off the bottom of the spud.
Once they are all hulled out you can save the tops and scooped out part for another recipe (hello mashed potatoes cakes!). Since I deviated a tad from the original recipe I brushed the hulled potatoes with the oil/salt/garlic powder mixture to add the flavor. Then came the fun part – stuffing them.
Oh, cheese how I love you! Now don’t be skimpy on this. If you want to add more, feel free! I stuff it down in and have it sticking out. If you use a silpat (oven-safe silicone mat) to bake these on and you get extra cheese on it, BONUS! When it comes out of the oven the cheese that is on the silpat is crispy little cheese tuile which can be added to the potato or crunched on like a cheesy chip! A quick hit under the broiler to melt the cheese and it was time to get my eats on!
My advice – let these cool for about 10 minutes before you eat them. They will be super hot and that cheese can be like lava. Once cooled just top with some guacamole and minced jalapeno peppers. Since I like cilantro in my guac I mixed mine in instead of garnishing it with it.
Now, you can easily make these ahead of time but I would not top with the guacamole until you’re ready to serve. These can be eaten warm or room temperature. These also reheat beautifully, though let’s be real, you won’t have any leftovers! We didn’t! These are so easy and seriously so delicious that I honestly see everyone making these this summer for their next cookout! This is that recipe that you could make at home, take to the party and serve! Potluck dinner? Oh yeah! I’m so taking these!
One lucky winner will win a grand prize box of Side Delights fresh potatoes and an Instant Pot! PLUS if you win, I win!!! I’ll have the amazing opportunity to visit one of the farms during harvest season! I absolutely LOVE harvest season whether it’s wheat, apples, veggies, etc.! I love seeing farmers perform their magic! To know that they created something from honest, hard labor is truly inspiring! Giveaway is open to US residents only. Must be 18 years of age or older.
Giveaway starts on August 6, 2018 at 6am EST and ends August 20, 2018.
This delicious recipe was sponsored by the amazing folks at Side Delights® and Kitchen Witch LLC.. As always, all opinions my own. Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands I trust and believe in.Print
For the Potatoes
- 1 Bag Side Delights® Steamables Duo potatoes (12 small potatoes, about 2 inches in diameter)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped red jalapeno pepper
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
For the guacamole
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Place the Side Delights® Steamables Duo potatoes bag in the microwave and follow the directions to cook (8-9 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking make the guacamole. Pit the avocado. Dice the avocado and transfer to a medium bowl. Add chives, lime juice, salt and pepper and mash together with a fork until half smooth and half chunky. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, carefully remove them from the microwave, open the bag and allow to cool slightly until they are cool enough to handle.
- Once cool enough to handle cut 1/4” from the top of each. Using a 1/2 teaspoon scoop out the middle portion of each potato so the remaining portion looks like a little cup. Place the potato “cups” on to a lined baking pan. Save the scooped out potatoes for another recipe.
- Whisk together the oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Brush the potato cups with the mixture.
- Turn the broiler on high. Fill each cup with cheese and broil for a few minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the potatoes to cool slightly. Top with guacamole mixture, chopped jalapeno pepper and a sprinkle of cilantro. Serve warm or room temp.
Original recipe source: Side Delights Website
Keywords: microwave, potatoes, appetizers, party foods, guacamole, stuffed potatoes, easy snack