This Instant Pot Hearty Chicken, Veggies and Wild Blend Rice Soup recipe is done in minutes. Ladle up a bowl of this rich, flavor-packed soup today! It’s the perfect comfort food! Also included, crock pot instructions!
Hello September and hello fall! I looked out my window this morning and saw the sign that fall was knocking on our doorstep. The leaves are starting to turn colors and even fall on the ground. Now I know many folks are sad that summer is over (or almost) over but not me. I LOVE fall weather.
I love the change in seasons, cooler temps (more so way less humidity), hoodies, comfy pants and lots of comfort foods. Fall means homey to me.
Fall weather equals comfort foods!
Every year growing up around this time, Mom would break out her huge soup pot (she actually used those large blue canning pots for her soups) and it would have a permanent spot on the back kitchen burner til spring. Soups, stews, chilis, roasts – that’s what fall means to me. What foods signify fall to you?
Please don’t say “pumpkin spice latte” either. #SoOverPumpkinSpiceEverything I’m sorry but I draw the line at pumpkin spice soda!
This soup is one of those soups where it’s hearty enough for a cold day but still light enough to have when you just need a long-sleeved shirt. The broth is light versus my most popular creamy chicken and rice soup version. However, both are super packed with flavor, veggies, chicken and a great stock.
You can totally go with your homemade stock but if you don’t have any, I LOVE the Knorr Homestyle Stock pods!
CrockPot and Instant Pot Instructions
With this recipe, I give you the instructions for both the Instant Pot as well as a crockpot. The only real difference is the time it takes to cook. I, personally, think the IP imparts a bit more flavor than the crock pot but I’d like you to be the judge! Many of you ask when I post recipes like this if I can give multiple ways to cook it.
I have a girlfriend that has 9, yes nine, crockpots and refuses to cook any other way. I still use my crockpot but do find I use my instant pot more often.
It’s all about comfort food but with a healthy twist!
In my TKW Facebook Foodie group, I often get asked how to make certain recipes healthier or keto-friendly. Luckily I have such a great presence there that so many are able to chime in and give their input. This recipe has a wild rice blend in it, that is cooked with the dish. However, rice really isn’t keto. So the next option is rice cauliflower.
It’s actually really easy to swap it out in this dish. You make the recipe as-is however you do not add in the riced cauliflower when you cook the chicken. When the dish is done, and, you put the chicken back in the pot then you add in 8-16 ounces of the riced cauliflower and cook for 2-3 minutes or until to your desired tenderness.
How to freeze
There are certain soups that you shouldn’t ever really freeze as, by freezing it, you can negatively impact it. For example, freezing creamy soups will make them grainy or become separated. Soups with noodles or grains (i.e. this soup). The grains and noodles will get mushy and fall apart. Since noodles and rice cooks in no time thanks to the Instant Pot, it’s best to add fresh once the soup base is reheated.
What to serve with soup
I’m that person that, if I’m served soup as part of my dining experience, by the time I’m done with it, I’m full. Soup is a meal for me, not a side or whatnot.
I love soups with half of the sandwich, crusty bread or something to “dunk” into the bowl. Kind of like how grilled cheese just goes with tomato soup, It’s meant to be dunked!
Instant Pot Hearty Chicken, Veggies and Wild Blend Rice Soup (with crock pot instructions too)
This Instant Pot Hearty Chicken, Veggies and Wild Blend Rice Soup recipe is done in minutes. Ladle up a bowl of this rich, flavor-packed soup today! It’s the perfect comfort food!
- 1 1/4 cups wild rice blend, rinsed *see note 1 for Keto
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock *See note 2
- 2 medium carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1 stalk celery, cut into small cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2–3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Place the oil into the 8 quart Instant Pot and set it to saute. Add in the onions, carrots, celery and a pinch of the salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the rice, stir and cook for 2 minutes as you want to lightly toast the rice. Turn off the instant pot.
- Add in 1/2 cup of broth and stir to pick up any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add in 2 1/2 cups more stock, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, and chicken. Close the lid and pressure cook on HIGH for 25 minutes. Perform a quick release when the time is up.
- Remove the lid, fish out the bay leaves (discard). Remove the chicken and shred into pieces or cut into small chunks. Add the chicken back into the soup plus the rest of the stock. Put the IP to saute or warm and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring till incorporated and the soup is hot all the way through but DO NOT allow to boil.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired the serve
- In an 8 quart crockpot, add all of the ingredients. Cover and set it to HIGH and cook for 4-5 hours or set it to LOW and cook for 7-8 hours.
- When done, fish out the bay leaves (discard). Remove the chicken and shred into pieces or cut into small chunks. Add the chicken pieces back to the pot; stir and enjoy!
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
Swap in 16 ounces of uncooked rice cauliflower. You make the recipe as-is however you do not add in the riced cauliflower when you cook the chicken. When the dish is done, and, you put the chicken back in the pot then you add in 8-16 ounces of the riced cauliflower and cook for 2-3 minutes or until to your desired tenderness.
If you do not have homemade stock, I absolutely LOVE these Stock Pods by Knorr!
Recipe Reviews & Comments
Judi Lovato says
This is the BEST recipe ever for chicken with rice soup! Quick and easy and oh-so-good!
This is such a delicious Fall comfort soup! My family will love it, i am adding it to our weekly rotation.
Claire | The Simple, Sweet Life says
Your chicken, veggies and wild rice soup looks like the perfect kind of comfort food for these cool fall days we’ve been having. And I love that it’s an easy, instant pot recipe!
OMG! This Soup is definitely hearty and jam-packed with such amazing flavors! I love that it was made in an Instant Pot! How easy!
With comfort food recipes like this, I see my Instant Pot getting a real workout this Fall.
I am so going to make the instant pot version. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Mama Maggie's Kitchen says
I am so loving this Instant Pot recipe right now! This kind of comfort food is totally perfect for Fall. Thanks for sharing!
I love that you can make this in the Instant Pot — makes it so convenient for weeknight dinners, and it’s so cozy for fall.
What a classic recipe – thanks for including instructions for all the different cooking methods!
You are most welcome Lizzy!
Best Kitchen Wishes!
Oh wow this looks so delicious and easy! I can’t wait to try this!