Smashed avocado toast with Italian roasted tomatoes, basil cream drizzle and microgreens make this the perfect snack or meal!
Avocado toast – I seriously love you! I bet you guys that I eat some form of it at least 3 times a week. The only change up are the toppings or the “toast” it’s on.
Are you a fan? Do you participate in “Toast Tuesdays”?
To me, probably my most favorite way to eat this is just smash up a bowl of avocados, toss in some salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Slather on rye bread and add a drizzle of sriracha. To me, that’s just perfect.
Ingredients for Caprese Avocado Toast
This recipe does assume you’ve already whipped up a batch of my Oven Roasted Italian Herb Tomato Slices. Trust me, you NEED to make that recipe! I use those things on EVERYTHING! You can use raw tomato slices but trust me, roasting them makes this a million times more delicious.
- Sliced bread for toasting – go with what you like. Even glutenfree or keto breads work
- Roasted Tomato Slices – trust me, they are the key to why this is so amazing
- Avocados – obviously
- Seasonings – pretty much pantry staples like salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder
- Fresh basil leaves – this really works best in the basil cream sauce. In a pinch you can use dried basil
- Dairy – sour cream, cream, parmesan cheese
- Garnish – I prefer microgreens but arugula, cilantro or spinach works too
Chef’s Tip on Picking Perfect Avocados
- Look for ripe but not over-ripe ones. Ripe avocados will have a skin color that is dark green to almost black
- You want avocados that yield slightly when pressed but are not mushy. Also when gently pressed it will not leave an indent
- The skin texture of the avocado should be bumpy
Smash the Avocados
This is both delicious and cathartic! You get to be all cave-man like and smash your food like the Hulk!
- Once the avocados are pitted, remove the flesh from the skin.
- Add your seasonings and, using the back of a fork, smash the avocado mixture while gently stirring to combine.
Let’s talk Smashed Avocado Texture
This is TOTALLY YOUR CALL here on texture! Some like it chunky while some like it completely smooth. As you can see I like it a little chunky for texture.
Basil Cream Sauce
So this isn’t so much a sauce (though it could be if you thinned it out more) but rather a drizzle. It’s meant to be squirted on as a like how you would put ketchup on a hot dog.
Yes… I put ketchup on my hot dogs.
Making the basil cream drizzle is super simple!
- Add the sour cream, cheese, cream, salt, pepper, oregano and fresh basil to a dish and whisk until combined.
- Put in a squeeze bottle and use.
If you don’t have a squeeze bottle you can put some in a baggie, twist it closed (like you were going to pipe frosting, snip off the end and squeeze.
Dried Basil for Fresh Basil
If you can’t find fresh basil you can use dried basil. You’ll only need about a 1/2 tsp of it. You can go up to 3/4 if you like a stronger taste.
Storing the Basil Cream Sauce
If you have any leftovers, you can store it in the fridge, covered, for up to 2 days.
It’s perfect on sandwiches, on chicken, in salads or as a dip!
Let’s eat this toast
Ahhhhh my favorite part – EATING! lol
- Toast up your favorite bread
- Slather on the smashed avocado spread
- Top with roasted tomato slices
- Drizzle on the basil cream sauce
- Finish off with some greens
This is not something I recommend you make ahead of time as we all know avocado-anything will turn brown fairly quickly due to the air hitting it.
Avocado Caprese Toast Subtitutions & Additions
- Balsamic Reduction Glaze – This would be great as an addition. Just add balsamic vinegar and honey to a pot over medium low heat and reduce until it’s a thick syrup. See more info in this recipe
- Shaved Parmesan – add shaved parmesan on top of the avocado spread. It’s a great texture and taste addition
- Pine Nuts – toast up some pine nuts and sprinkle on top
- Meat – prosciutto or even bacon would be a great addition
- Bread – as I mentioned above, gluten-free or keto-friendly work. Try pita bread, naan or even pizza dough to switch it up
Caprese Avocado Toast Dip
Make it as a layered dip!
- Add the smashed avocado mixture down first
- Top with chopped roasted tomato slices
- Drizzle or spread the basil cream on top
- Add some pine nuts for texture
Serve with pita chips, crostini, mini toasts, chips… a fork!Print
- 4 slices of toasted bread
- 2 avocados, pitted
- 1 tsp of kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbl grated parmesan cheese
- 3 large basil leaves, minced
- 3 Tbl heavy cream *or milk
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 8–12 roasted tomato slices
- Microgreens for garnish
Make the Basil Cream Drizzle
- In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream basil leaves, oregano, cream, cheese 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Put the mixture in a squeeze bottle. Set aside.
Make the Avocado Topping
- In a bowl add the avocados, remaining salt, pepper, garlic powder. Smash with a fork and mix together until desired consistency.
Assemble the toast
- Evenly divide the avocado topping overtop of the toast and spread to cover the toast.
- Add 3-4 roasted tomato slices. Drizzle on the basil cream. Garnish with microgreens and serve immediately.
If you have basil cream drizzle left, store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Keywords: open-faced sandwich, Caprese Avocado Toast, smashed avocado toast, roasted tomatoes, basil cream sauce, basil crema