The ultimate breakfast or brunch bagel casserole with eggs, bagels, everything bagel seasoning, cheeses, bacon, and ham! It’s the perfect make-ahead or freezer meal!
Casseroles are something we grew up on and I’d say 90% of the time it was a way Mom could repurpose leftovers into something delicious. Even though we were eating leftovers, she would make it into something new. Mom’s are mad geniuses like that!
Breakfast Bagel Casserole Ingredients
This really only uses basic pantry and fridge items. And if you don’t have one of the items or want to change it up, check out the substitutions section below!
- Day Old Bagels – I went with Everything Bagels as those are my favorite but you can use any savory type
- Cheese – Shredded white cheddar (though you can use any other melty-type cheese) plus cream cheese
- Mustards – Dijon and Whole Grain
- Meats – Bacon and Shaved Ham
- Eggs – I used Duck Eggs as they are THE BEST EVER but you can use chicken
- Green Onions
Let’s Make This Bagel Casserole!
This dish requires you to allow it to rest at least 1 hour in the fridge though it honestly is best if it rests overnight in the fridge. You need to allow enough time for the liquid mixture to soak into the bagels.
- Grab your bagels (day old is best) and cut them up into 1″ pieces.
- Chop up the ham and cooked bacon.
- Spray a 9″ Baking Pie Dish (can use a rectangular baking dish as well) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place half of the bagels into the dish in an even layer.
- Place half of the ham and bacon on top of the bagels. Push some of the ham/bacon between the pieces of bagel.
- Sprinkle on half of the cheese, 1 Tbl of everything bagel seasoning, and half of the onion.
- Repeat with another layer of bagel, meat, cheese, seasoning.
- In a bowl, add the milk, pepper, both mustards, and eggs. Whisk until combined.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over top. Pour some, allow it to soak in, and continue pouring until all of the mixture is in.
- With a spatula, gently push the bagel items down into the pan.
- Add the remaining green onions and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge for at least one hour though it’s best to allow it to rest overnight.
Let’s Bake Breakfast… or Brunch!
I don’t know about you but I could not stop thinking about this as it was resting in my fridge. I knew I was going to have one amazing breakfast!
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- While the oven is heating up, remove the dish from the fridge, unwrap and grab your cream cheese plus remaining everything bagel seasoning.
- Place the bits of cream cheese all over the top of the dish and sprinkle on the remaining everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake the dish for 40-50 minutes, uncovered until the edges are golden brown and the center is set.
To test if it’s set, insert the tip of a thin-bladed knife in the middle. It should come out warm/hot but not coated in the egg mixture.
GBD – Golden Brown and Delicious!
She’s sexy, isn’t she? But right now, she’s too hot even for you. lol
When you pull this out of the oven you have to let it rest for 10-15 minutes. It needs to cool down just a bit. Plus it allows the bagel mixture to not tear but rather stay together.
It’s kind of like when you make bread. You are to never cut it straight out of the oven as you’ll tear it. Think of this similarly like that.
For some finishing touches, add on a few green onions and if desired some slices of tomatoes.
The smell of this smelled exactly like a fresh bagel and cream cheese from the bakery. It’s so intoxicating and took a considerable amount of self-control to not dig in right away.
This is perfect for breakfast or brunch. I serve this quite often over the holidays for our brunch feast with friends. It’s great hot or even warm temperature.
- Sliced Fresh or Roasted Tomatoes
- Herbed or Everything Cream Cheese
- Boursin Cheese
- Warm Cheese Sauce
- Hollandaise Sauce
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Roasted Asparagus
- Broccoli Pecandine
- Bagels – Onion, Garlic, Tomato, Egg, Plain
- Veggies – roasted peppers or mushrooms, sauteed asparagus, shallots, jalapenos
- Cheese – gouda, gruyere, smoked provolone, pepper jack
- Cream Cheese – marscapone
- Bread – brioche or Texas toast
- Meats – cooked breakfast sausage, chorizo
Bagel Casserole Variations
- Farmers – bacon, sausage, maple syrup, farmer’s cheese
- Artisan – roasted tomatoes, asparagus, goat cheese, basil and finish with prosciutto
- Meat Lovers – Bacon, Breakfast Sausage, Bacon, Ham
- Veggie Lovers – roasted mushrooms, peppers, sundried tomatoes, asparagus, and broccoli
- Salmon (Lox) – Capers, thinly sliced red onions, cream cheese, and when it’s done, thinly sliced Lox and fresh tomatoes
Make-Ahead / Freezer Meal Instructions
This is a great dish that is perfect for freezer meals and meal prep. Because this includes a milk/egg mixture you have to bake it fully then freeze.
You cannot assemble then freeze. The egg/milk mixture would break and you’d end up with a hot mess when you attempted to bake it.
- Follow the instructions below and bake as directed.
- Allow to cool completely.
- At this point, you can double wrap in plastic wrap and freeze OR portion out into freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to thaw in the fridge overnight.
- If using the oven, transfer to an oven-safe dish and reheat at 350 F until warmed all the way through.
- If using a microwave, microwave in 30-second increments until warmed all the way through.
- 3 day-old everything bagels *can use plain, onion, garlic, or egg
- 3 large duck eggs or 5 XL eggs
- 1 Tbl Ground Mustard
- 1 Tbl Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 ounces shaved Black Forest Ham
- 4 slices, thick-cut crispy bacon, chopped
- 3 cups shredded white cheddar, divided into thirds
- 2 Tbl plus 1/2 tsp Everything Bagel Seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 whole green onions, chopped (reserve a pinch for add as garnish)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into smaller pieces
- Spray a 9” baking pie dish with cooking spray and set aside. Slice or cube the bagels into 1” pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, mustards, whole milk, and black pepper. Set aside.
- To the sprayed baking dish, add half of the bagel pieces, followed by half the ham and bacon, half of the cheese, 1 Tbl of the everything bagel seasoning, and half of the green onions.
- Add the rest of the bagels, ham, bacon, cheese, 1 Tbl of everything bagel seasoning and the rest of the green onions.
- Pour over the egg mixture, slowly gently pushing down the bagels to ensure everything gets coated. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least one hour or up to 12 overs (overnight).
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 F. Remove the pan from the fridge, uncover, and place the cream cheese piece on top of the casserole. Sprinkle the remaining everything bagel seasoning all over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes uncovered until the edges are golden brown and the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Add the rest of the green onions and serve.
- Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
See the post for details on how to freeze and make ahead
Keywords: #everyythingbagel #breakfastcasserole #everythingbagelseasoning , everything bagel casserole, everything bagel breakfast casserole, bagel casserole, brunch casserole, overnight casserole, freezer casserole