Taking your avocado toast to another level with this addictive cream cheese spread! Combining smashed avocadoes with everything bagel seasoning, red pepper flakes, and cream cheese for the ultimate avocado spread!
So what’s your stance on avocado toast? Is it still relevant or is it time to move on to something else like say a roasted white bean & garlic spread? Now before you go and say it’s played out, I need you to try out this recipe.
I, too, have grown tired of straight-up avocado/salt/pepper on toast. Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ll still eat it with a smile on my face, buuuuuut I needed a change-up.
Enter in this spread… It’s something I literally have eaten every single day for the past 2 weeks and have yet to tire of it!
Whether it’s on toast, bagels, stuffed in bell peppers, used for a veggie dip, I can’t get enough of it. And I’m pretty sure that once you make it, you’ll be the same way! So let’s get started!
Gather your ingredients
This literally only requires 4 things – 5 if you want it a bit more dippable
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Cream Cheese (room temp) – *If you use cream cheese spread, it’ll be a bit looser and thinner but still delicious
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Heavy cream – *this is optional if you want it thinner and used as a dip. You won’t need this is if you use cream cheese spread
Let’s Make THE BEST Avocado Spread
- Start by pitting and scooping out the flesh of your ripe avocado (s) and placing it into a bowl.
You could also add the ingredients to a mortar and pestle and smash it there for a super creamy texture.
- To the bowl, softened cream cheese, the Everything Bagel Seasoning, and Chili flakes. This is also where you would add any other or different spices.
- With the back of a fork, press down and into (smashing) the cream cheese and avocado.
- You’ll want to do this until it’s all incorporated and either creamy/smooth or with some specks of cream cheese and chunks of avocado.
Want it creamier?
Once it’s all smashed together if you want it creamier you can add the cream in now and mix it until smooth.
The texture is totally up to your and your preferences. I like it so I can see the flecks of cream cheese and little chunks of avocado. It’s a textural element for me. But feel free to smash away if you wish.
Ways to use Smashed Avocado Everything Bagel Cream Cheese Spread
Gosh, there are so many ways but here are some of my favorites. I’d love to hear yours!
- Bagels and Toast – this is a no-brainer. Just toast up your favorite bagel or bread (and yes it can totally be gluten-free!) and add as little or as much as you want!
- Sandwiches – spread this on grilled chicken and bacon focaccia for example! It also goes really well on a club sandwich too!
- Burgers – whether it’s beef or turkey burger, slathering some of this spread on is a game-changer!
- Wraps – Add this to a veggie or chicken wrap with some crunchy veggies and you have one killer wrap!
- Nachos – serve this instead of regular guacamole for a delicious twist!
How to Store Avocado Spread
So avocados can be finicky when it comes to storing them so they don’t oxidize or turn brown.
I’m sure you’ve tried the “put the pit in the dip and store it” method. I’ve had 50/50 luck with that working. What I have found that does work is the following:
- Place the leftover spread in a bowl and grab your plastic wrap.
- Tear off a large piece and press it down onto the spread. You are creating a blanket directly against the spread. This usually helps it last a day, maybe 2.
What about cut avocados?
Say you only want to make half batch. You have a few options on how to store the other half of the cut avocado.
- Brush or squeeze a bit of lemon or lime juice against the exposed surface of the avocado. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Store the avocado in clean, cool water, covered in the fridge.
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2–3 tablespoon heavy cream *optional
- Slice, pit, and scoop out the flesh from the avocado to a bowl or mortar & pestle
- Add the Everything Bagel Seasoning and red pepper flakes. With the back of a fork (or pestle), smash down the cream cheese and avocado mixing in the seasonings until desired consistency.
- *If a creamier thinner texture is desired add in the heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Spread on toast, bagels, or use with veggies and chips.
- To store leftovers, press plastic wrap directly onto the remaining spread covering the whole surface area completely and store in the fridge for up to 1-2 days. If any oxidation occurs, you can scrape that part off, discard and enjoy the rest!
Keywords: cream cheese spread, avocado toast, creamy avocado, everything bagel cream cheese, brunch spreads, weekend eats, toast spreads. toast toppers, avocado dip #avocadotoast #smashedavocado