Fire up the grill to make these insanely delicious pizza rolls stuffed with Italian seasoning, slices of pepperoni, and mozzarella for deliciously cheesy pizza pinwheels. Perfect for Sunday football, party appetizers, or a new spin on pizza night!
Pizza is life
Yes for me, pizza is so much more than amazingly delicious food. It’s a way of life for me. It’s therapy at times. It’s comforting. It’s home.
Pizza is one of those things that truly make me happy. Well aside from Mr. Fantabulous naturally. There’s just something about working the dough by hand, adding the toppings, and throwing it into the oven.
And to know me, you know I’ll pizzafy pretty much anything. Whether it’s shaped as a traditional pizza or pizza toppings put into things like these pizza rolls, I’m gonna pizzafy it!
Let’s Make Pizza Rolls
First, you’re going to need just a few ingredients:
- Prepared Pizza Dough
- Cheese – yes please only use freshly shredded
- Pizza Sauce
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a 12″x15″ rectangle.
- Sprinkle on half of the seasonings, spread out the pizza sauce in a thin layer, cheese, and pepperoni.
- Grabbing the long end roll up like a log, gently pinching the ends to seal.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the rolls into 1″ round pieces
Butter your pan
As you know, I LOVE Emile Henry and their products. Their Emile Henry Chicago Deep Dish Baker is phenomenal and something I use for way more than just pizza.
But today, we’re using it for these rolls.
- Butter the pan, bottom, and sides then place the cut rolls into the pan
- Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and allow to rise for 45-60 minutes. They should be all puffy and have almost no space between the rolls showing.
Let’s heat things up!
While the rolls are doing their thing getting all puffy, heat up your grill and set it up for indirect heat.
- For the Big Green Egg, add the convEGGtor, legs facing up, and add a grill grate. Heat up to 425F. This should take about 35-40 minutes. If it’s done sooner, that’s fine. It’s better to have the grill and the grates at the correct temp.
Bake the rolls
- To the preheated grill, place the uncovered pan with the risen rolls onto the grate and close the lid.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- When done, remove from the egg, allow to set for a couple of minutes and then serve.
What to serve with pepperoni pizza rolls
Go with what you like! For me I’m all about:
- Warmed Pizza Sauce
- Hot Honey
How to reheat pepperoni pizza rolls
What’s this reheat stuff? Do you mean you actually think you’re going to have leftovers? haha Just teasing. Reheating is super simple.
- Oven – preheat the oven to 350 F and line a pan with foil or parchment. Place the roll(s) onto the pan and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through
- Microwave – no, never; end of story.
How to make these in the oven
The process is exactly the same as the grill.
- Butter the pan and place the sliced rolls in it to proof.
- 30 minutes into the proof, preheat the oven to 425F, and rack in the middle.
- When you’re ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap and bake until GBD – Golden, Brown, and Delicious.
The reason why the process is the same as when you’re using the big green egg, you’re using indirect heat which acts similarly to an oven.Print
- 400-gram pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup each white cheddar & WMLM mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp each dried oregano & basil
- 1–1.5 cups sliced pepperoni (measuring with your heart)
- 1 Tbl softened butter
- Roll out the dough into a 12″x15″ rectangle.
- Sprinkle on half of the herbs then top with a thin layer of sauce, cheese, & pepperoni. Roll up tightly into a log roughly 12-13″ long, slice into 1” round pieces, and place into a buttered pan Emile Henry Chicago Deep Dish Baker. You should have 12 rolls. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and allow to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- While the rolls are proofing in the pan, preheat the Big Green Egg to 425 F with the convEGGtor in place. You’re cooking this for indirect heat.
- When the rolls are proofed, remove the plastic and place the pan into the grill. Cook it in the Egg for 12-18 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the pan from the Egg, and sprinkle with basil and oregano. Serve with the remaining pizza sauce.
*time does not include proofing
Keywords: Grilled Pepperoni Pizza Rolls, big green egg pepperoni rolls, pepperoni rolls, pepperoni pizza rolls recipe, grilled pizza, cheesy pizza rolls, football foods, party appetizers, pizza sauce