This creamy buttermilk feta dressing is loaded with herbs, feta cheese, and acid to make this the perfect salad dressing or dip!
Ever since I was little, I’ve had this thing for salad dressings. I think it stems from my being a dipper/dunker when it comes to my food.
Full disclosure I rarely pour salad dressing all over a salad as I show in the images on this post but rather I prefer it to the side so I can dunk my fork in. Now yes, I do find I go through more dressing than most but I like every bite to have a little bit of everything. That, to me, is the perfectly balanced bite.
Grab Your Ingredients
The ingredient list is pretty standard items most folks have in their fridge or pantry.
- Dairy: mayo, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), cottage cheese, buttermilk, and feta cheese
- Seasonings: garlic, oregano, dill, kosher salt, and pepper
- Acid: white wine vinegar or lemon juice
Mix It Up
This is a throw it into a blender/food processor and mix the crap out of it type of recipe.
I used my Ninja IQ Blender that I’ve had for years. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thing! It’s the most powerful one I’ve ever used. If you’re looking for a new one, I HIGHLY recommend it!
Time To Eat!
Since I had leftover Greek seasoned steak from dinner the night before, I opted to make an awesome steak salad with leeks, romaine from my garden, mini heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, more feta, carrots and some Greek bagel crisps.
Folks this was so luscious, so creamy, with such a great tang.
Creamy Feta Dressing Chef Tips
Initially, when you make this dressing it will appear thinner. As it chills in the fridge it will thicken up quite a bit. At that consistency, it’s perfect for dipping.
- To thin it out for use as a dressing, whisk in either heavy cream or milk to get it to the desired consistency.
- Taste for seasoning. When I do this, I may add just a smidge more dill/oregano. It honestly depends on how strong the feta I’m using is.
Creamy Feta Dressing Storage & Usage Tips
This dressing will last about a week or so in the fridge in a covered mason jar.
Some of my favorite ways to use this are:
- Salad dressing – that’s given
- Dip – this is amazing with sliced veggies as a dip, chips, or warm pita bread
- Condiment – Make a Greek-style burger or sandwich and use this instead of mayo. It’s out of this world!
Creamy Feta Dressing Substitutions/Additions
This is always my favorite section of a recipe post!
- Chunky: after you blend it all, stir in an additional 1/2 cup of crumbled feta. It adds great texture to the dressing.
- Fresh Herbs: if you have fresh parsley, dill, and oregano use that. The ratio is 3:1 so if the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of dried parsley, use 3 teaspoons of chopped fresh parsley.
- Sour Cream: you can use Greek Yogurt in place
- Cottage Cheese: I love the texture and richness this adds to the dressing. If you do not want to use it you can use more sour cream though the flavor will slightly be altered.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 Tablespoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- *Optional 1-3 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- Put all of the ingredients except the heavy cream or milk into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Use immediately or transfer to a lidded container and store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Prior to serving, stir and if desired, stir in a little bit of the cream/milk to desired consistency.
Keywords: The Best Homemade Creamy Feta Dressing, feta dressing, feta dip, whipped feta, herb feta dressing, buttermilk feta salad dressing, from scratch dressing, Greek feta dressing