Fire up the grill as we’re making the most amazing grilled chicken al pastor with slices of fresh pineapple and onions! It’s a fiesta flavor bomb of deliciousness!
Grab Your Ingredients
This is such an incredibly easy recipe that literally is only 6 ingredients. Now one of the ingredients you will need to order is honestly it’s incredible.
- Chicken – I went with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You can go with 50/50 chicken breasts too but all chicken breasts can dry out unless you watch the grill closely as it may get done sooner.
- Seasoning – this is one you’ll have to buy but honestly, it’s worth it! Trompo King Al Pastor Seasoning
- Liquids – olive oil, fresh orange juice, and chicken stock
- Produce – large pineapple and 1 large onion
Watch The Video
Now one thing I wish I didn’t do was put the carrots directly on the bottom of the pan at the beginning. Even though I put liquid in the bottom, the carrots burned. That’s my own stupid fault.
I should have put them in about 35 minutes before the end of the cooking period. Lessons Learned
Stack It Up
- Sprinkle your onions and pineapple with Al Pastor Seasoning. To the skewer, add the top (or bottom) of an onion and push it down all the way on the skewer. I push mine all the way down. Typically I use a large onion that I cut in 3 equal sizes.
- Next, follow it with a slice of pineapple then a third of the meat.
- Repeat until the last piece is the onion on top.
- Pour over any liquid left marinade over top. (not pictured as I ended up adding it after I took the pic)
Chef’s Explanation of ‘Trompo’ Style Cooking
If you’ve ever seen gyro meat cooking, you’ll see it cooking/roasting on a vertical spit that spins. It’s typically cone-shaped and as it spins the heat cooks the cone or meats.
The Trmop King unit acts as the same way but minus the rotation part. By putting it in say a Big Green Egg (using indirect heat) or your home oven, you’re allowing the heat to circulate around the meat, cooking it in a similar fashion as say a gyro cone on a spit.
Into The Grill
Set the meat into the gril, close the lid and let it cook until the internal temp reaches 165F.
Remember, if you’re adding carrots, don’t do as I did in the video and the picture but rather add it 30 minutes before the end of the cook.
Grilled To Perfection!
So a few Chef tips here:
- Pour the liquid into the pan after you put it into/onto the grill.
- If adding carrots of chopped veggies, add them about 30 minutes prior to the end of the cook. Naturally if you’re using say whole potatoes of huge veggies, add them in a bit earlier. Size matters here folks.
- USE BBQ gloves to remove this. These gloves are THE BEST gloves I’ve ever had! I use these daily on my pizza oven that gets over 900F an my hands and arms are protected!
Grilled To Perfection!
Seriously, just look at that char on the chicken, the caramelation on the onions and pineapple!
This was absolutely EXCEPTIONAL!
No Grill? No Problem!
What I love about the Trompo King is you can also make this in the home oven. What I would recommend is putting this on the lowest shelf, removing the other racks, and first testing it out to see if the 12″ spike will fit height-wise. If not, switch to the 7″ one. That works perfectly! Some ovens aren’t tall enough or the heating element gets in the way. If it’s too tall, no worries, they have a smaller one that is perfect!
Or maybe you just want a smaller version all together. Then check out the Trompo King Mini Vertical Skewer is only 8.4″ tall!
Removing the Meat & Produce
The easiest way is to grab a sharp slicing/carving knife and just carve the meat, pineapple and onions off of the skewer.
Ways To Serve Grilled Chicken al Pastor
Here are some of my favorites ways I’ve served this.
- Tacos – add the carved meat and produc to a hard or soft taco shell then add avocado, crema, cilantro, cheese and hot sauce
- Buritto – Stuff a flour tortilla with the carved meat/produce and add mexican rice, queso and sauce
- Nachos – layer it on torilla shells with cheese, jalapenos, avocados, fresh tomatoes and cilantro
- Protein Bowl – tihs is amazing for meal prep! Add it atop rice or cauliflower rice and your favorite veggies!
- Pizza – this with an enchilada sauce, cheese, radishes, avocado and a swirl of crema! It’s EVERYTHING!
Tell me how you’d serve it!Print
- 4lb chicken thighs, boneless
- 4 Tbl al pastor seasoning
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 whole onion cut in thirds, skin removed
- 1 large pineapple, skin removed and cut in thirds (leave the core)
- Place the chicken, oil, seasoning, and oj in a plastic food storage bag or a lidded food storage pan (lid sold separately). Mix to combine, cover and place in the fridge for 15-16 hours.
- The next day, light the Big Green Egg, add in the convEGGtor, legs facing up, and add a grate. Heat up to 375°. If you do not have a Big Green Egg, set your grill for indirect heat.
- Place one of the 3 slices of the onion on a large Trompo King Vertical Skewer. Next, add one section of pineapple followed by a third of the chicken. Repeat one more layer. Next switch it up by adding the last round of pineapple, the rest of the chicken, and the last slice of onion.
- When the EGG is at temp, set the Trompo King Vertical Skewer stacked with all of that deliciousness onto the egg. Cook for 1.5-2 hours or until the chicken temp registers at 165°.
- Move the Trompo to a heat-safe counter and using a carving knife, slice and enjoy!
*time does not include overnight marinating
Keywords: Grilled Chicken al Pastor on the Big Green Egg , chicken al pastor recipe, trompo king chicken, trompo style cooking, vertical grilling, grilled chicken al pastor tacos, how to make al pastor chicken, #alpastorchicken #chickenalpastro #bgeteamgreen