I’m taking my favorite Musselman’s Apple Sauce and transforming it into a competition-worthy BBQ sauce! Sweet, tangy, and so easy! From pulled pork to shredded chicken, grilled shrimp to wings, this sauce is amazing!
The Apple Sauce Boss!
This blog post is not sponsored however the social media posts are. I wanted to share it on my website as not everyone is on social media and this recipe is too amazing for folks to miss!
Whether you’re 5 of 75, apple sauce is always welcome. I grew up on Musselman’s Apple Sauce and to this day you will always find a container in my fridge and another on the pantry shelf.
It’s so refreshing, especially living in Arizona. When most folks think of Apple Sauce they think of it as a side dish for the holidays or a favorite pork dinner, but it’s such a diverse ingredient that can be used in so many different ways. Today I’m sharing an old family bbq sauce recipe I grew up on and still make to this day!
Grab Your Ingredients
This recipe is so simple and uses simple pantry ingredients. It comes together in under 20 minutes and is easily one of those recipes you’ll put on repeat!
- Musselman’s Original Apple Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
BBQ Sauce In Under 20 Minutes
This sauce comes together in no time.
- Put all of the ingredients in a pot, whisk it together and set the heat to medium
- Bring the mixture just to a light boil (a few bubbles) while stirring and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often.
The mixture will thicken up as it cools
Healthy and High-Quality You Feel Good About
As a 4th and 5th generation grower-owned company started in 1907, Musselsman’s has been producing the best products. They truly are the ‘apple experts’.
Yes, making Apple Sauce at home is easy but honestly, there’s something about the apples that they use that gives their Apple Sauce that edge of excellence. Quality matters. You can taste the freshness in every spoonful! These folks are the experts through and through!
As soon as I tasted the sauce when it was done I couldn’t help but smile. This reminded me so much of my Mom and every single summer cookout we had.
This sauce was her go-to sauce and it went on every protein we grilled (FYI this on a burger is amazing!), on meatloaf when she wanted to step away from her usual tomato sauce, and of course pulled pork.
My Sandwich Obsession
This bbq sauce is what spawned 2 new recipes – my Fall Apple Coleslaw and an upcoming Pulled Chicken Sandwich recipe.
I ate this sandwich (and also as a lettuce wrap) every day for a week, one time it was twice in one day, it’s no exaggeration! I fell HARD for it!
This sauce is LEGIT folks!
Water Bath Canning Method
You can absolutely preserve this using a water-bath method.
When I can my bbq sauces, I typically let them set in Water Bath Canning Set for ~20 minutes for my altitude, and then when I remove them, flip the cans upside down on a cooling rack for at least an hour. Don’t ask me why I flip them upside down – that’s just how Mom did it so I do it too.
- As the sauce is cooking, heat the water bath canning pot over medium heat. You want it at least 1/2 way filled and brought to a simmer.
- Pour the sauce into the jars, remove any air bubbles in the jar, clean the edges, and place the lid and band on. Tighten the lid to ‘finger tightness”
- Use a jar lifter and place the jars in the canner on the rack. Be sure the jars do not touch each other. Make sure the water covers the jars by 1-2 inches. If it doesn’t, pour boiling water overtop.
- Bring to a boil and once it starts to boil, set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the pot, flip upside down and place them on a cooling rack for at least an hour.
- 2 cups Musselman’s Original Apple Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a pot, add all of the ingredients, whisk together, and put the heat to medium. Bring the mixture just to a boil and reduce the temperature to low. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a heat-safe jar, cover, and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Keywords: The Most Amazing Sweet & Tangy Applesauce BBQ Sauce, competition bbq sauce, barbecue sauce, sweet and tangy barbeque sauce, bbq pulled chicken, bbq pulled pork, The Most Amazing Sweet & Tangy Apple Sauce BBQ Sauce