This cheesy smoked bread bowl is perfect for Sunday football or hanging out with friends. Stuffed with BBQ chicken, crispy bacon, cheese, and ranch seasoning, this over-the-top bread bowl is always a crowd favorite!
The Perfect Game Day Food!
There are certain foods that are just meant for football and gatherings. This Smoked Cheesy Bread Bowl is one of those recipes! And the best part, it all came from stuff I had in the fridge! Leftover roasted chicken and bacon (yes, there is such a thing as leftover cooked bacon)!
I decided to fire up the Yoder Smokers Flattop Grill for indirect smoking/grilling and whip this bad boy up!
Watch The Video!
This is such an easy dish to put together! You can use one large round bread loaf or make smaller individual-sized ones!
Grab Your Ingredients
- Bread Bowl – did you know you can use my Hoagie Roll recipe to make bread bowls?! Now you do!
- Chicken – I had roasted chicken the day before but you can absolutely use a rotisserie chicken if you’re short on time
- Cheese – softened cream cheese and freshly shredded cheddar
- BBQ Sauce
- Ranch Seasoning
- Yoder Smokers Chicken Rub
- Green Onions
- Crispy Bacon
Let’s Make The Filling!
- Add the seasonings, onions, bacon, chicken, and cheese to a large bowl. Mix until fully incorporated.
Hollow Out The Bread Bowl
- Using a serrated knife, cut a hole into the top without going through the bottom or sides, pulling out as much bread as you need to fit the dip.
- When hollowing out the bowl, you want to get it as even on the bottom as possible.
- Add the filling, place the lid on top, and double-wrap in foil!
- Place on the preheated grill, indirect heat side (~350-375F) for 35-40 minutes.
- When it’s done (the filling is melted/cheesy and the bread is crusty, remove it from the smoker/grill and plate.
What To Serve With This Smoked Bread Bowl
I kept it simple when I plated ours:
- Veggies – Celery and Carrots are our favorites
Recipe Substitutions & Additions
You know how I love this section of the post!
- Meat – swap out the chicken for pulled pork or shredded beef
- BBQ Sauce – Use any type you like. Try a spicy flavor or even Sriracha if you’re bold!
- Veggies – try minced broccoli, jalapenos, green chilies, or corn
If you don’t have a grill or smoker, you can make this in your home oven. I prefer to wrap mine in foil even in the home oven but you don’t have to but make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Stuff the bread as the instructions are written, place the filled bread bowl on a baking sheet, and bake (covered or not – your choice) for 30 minutes. Check to see if the filling is melted and soft while the bread is crispy.
If the filling is not hot all the way through but the bread is getting too toasted cover it with foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the filling is hot all the way through.Print
- 1 large round bread loaf ~18-24 ounces
- 12 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups shredded or chopped chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 6 strips crispy bacon, chopped
- 3 green onions
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ranch seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Yoder Smokers Chicken Rub
- Preheat the Yoder Smokers Flattop Grill set up for indirect cooking. You want it to read 350-375F.
- To a large bowl, add the ranch, Yoder Smokers Chicken Rub, onions, bacon, chicken, and cheese to a large bowl. Mix until fully incorporated. Set aside
- Hollow out the bread bowl by using a serrated knife and cutting a hole into the top without going through the bottom or sides, pulling out as much bread as you need to fit the dip. When hollowing out the bowl, you want to get it as even on the bottom as possible. The insides you can coat with some olive oil and crisp up to use for dipping or save to make croutons.
- Add the filling to the bread bowl, place the lid on top, and double-wrap in foil.
- Place on the preheated grill, for 35-40 minutes. When it’s done (the filling is melted/cheesy and the bread is crusty, remove it from the smoker/grill and plate.
- Serve with veggies, crackers, crostini or bread sticks.
Keywords: Ultimate Smoked BBQ Chicken Bacon And Ranch Bread Bowl, stuffed bread bowl, crack chicken dip, bacon chicken ranch dip, smoked bread, yoder smokers, flattop grills