Make your own Panko

It’s funny as someone the other day said to me “Hey, have you heard of those new type of breadcrumbs called Panko?”  I grinned and giggled and said “Well, they aren’t new, they’ve been around for years but haven’t really didn’t become mainstream in American cuisine until early 2000’s.

panko

And yeah, they are more expensive than ‘normal’ bread crumbs.” I love Panko breadcrumbs and use them more often any the ‘normal’ ones.  They have a better texture in food and there is that amazing crunch factor.  Unfortunately there is that cost.  Now granted they aren’t grossly more expensive but still…anything we can do in today’s economy to find ways to save money is a blessing! panko1

So why not make your own?  I mean you can make your own croutons and even your own ‘normal’ breadcrumbs that are super fine.  Just swap out your blade in your processor for your grater and you’re set.  panko3

Panko... the latest rage!

Rating

Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Ingredients
  • 6-8 slices of bread
  • Seasonings (Italian, chili, etc)
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 300F.
  2. Attach the shredder attachment to your food processor.
  3. Cut the bread in thirds (strips) and simply feed the strips into the processor. The shredder will make the bread into small shreds/crumbs (not like the teeny breadcrumbs).
  4. Spread out evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes (shaking every 2 minutes to even out the baking) or until crispy, NOT BROWN. You want them crispy but not toasted.
  5. Store in sealed container once cooled.
Notes
Now you could even season these too - before you spread them out on the cookie sheet, add in some Italian seasoning and bake as normal.

panko2

36 Responses to “Make your own Panko”

• shannon s says:

Thank you for all the great tips! By far your blog is one of my Favorite food blogs. Helpful and useful tips that a busy Mom can do!

Wow why thank you SO much Shannon! To hear feedback like that is truly incredible and touches my heart! THANK YOU! I try to keep the recipes “real” and the tips that we all can use. Fancy Schmancy stuff is nice but I’m practical and feel that “if I can make it, I’m going to to” and eventually share my tricks of the trade with my TKW Family 🙂

• Linda C says:

Thanks. I have been too cheap to buy them, the price annoyed me, so I never bought or tried them, but now, I will, with your explanation on how to make my own.

Morning Linda!

Yeah, the price is outrageous in my opinion! I have several types of crumbs in my cupboard – plain, Italian, chili spice – whatever my tastes call for.

• Elizabeth A says:

Thank you for sharing your hard won battle with us, so that we can be frugal, too. I like making breadcrumbs as I need them, so they stay fresh. Love this!

You are most welcome Elizabeth! I only make them this way now. You can even spice them or add Parmesan cheese to them while you’re making them.

Nah, just frugal 🙂

Growing up we were extremely poor; poorer than most families. So we learned to make things from scratch or grow it ourselves. My Mom is the one that taught me how to make “normal” bread crumbs. And it really wasn’t until the explosion of Panko about 8 years ago did I start playing with it in my recipes. And like mostly everyone I bought them and it wasn’t until I was paying almost $4 for 16 ounces did I give it a 2nd thought about making my own. So like normal, I put on my engineering cap and got to thinking. Trust me, in the beginning I had more than any sane person’s share of bread crumbs. It didn’t dawn on me to use the shredder on the food processor until one day I was shredding cheese with a hand grater. I was in LA-LA land (like most often at times LOL) and it happened to just stare at the shreds of cheese falling. I didn’t quite put 2 and 2 together as my first attempt was to shred a piece of white bread manually. Um… yeah, I don’t advise that. HAHA

So I threw caution to the wind and got out my massively heavy food processor that I LOOOOOOOOOOVE and figured I’d try that attachment. I did a slice was in awe of what was in the bowl. The baking them took a few tries because I kept toasting them. It was probably batch 10 or 20 (blush) did I only brown them did I FINALLY get the result I wanted.

This is one of those ‘have to shares’. Just stay tuned… I got a bajillion of them! 🙂

• Bubba says: