No, this time you’re craving something hearty, something with ‘oomph’ and depth. Something that easily satisfy you through breakfast and possibly thru to dinner (with a small snack in the afternoon). Kind of like right now for me… I’m craving REAL food. This whole being stuck on broth, jello and clear liquids while I recuperate bites! I want this and I want it now… *sigh*
What I like most about this recipe is that you use leftovers from the night before. This is a perfect way to use up left over baked potatoes (uncut). Now if you don’t have leftover ones, you’ll have to make baked potatoes first before you go to make this recipe.
|Sunrise Breakfast Taters|
- 2 large Baked Potatoes*
- 2 Tbl. butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 Tlb. shredded cheese
- 1 Tlb fresh chives
- Sea Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the baked potato on its side carefully cut off the top third of the potato.
- Using a spoon, hollow out the middle of the potato to make a “bowl”, leaving the potato as thick or thin as you’d like.
- Place 1 Tbl of butter in the middle of each tater.
- Next, crack an egg into the bowl being carefully not to break the yolk.
- Top with bacon, cheese, chives, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a cookie sheet or pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the egg whites are set. Serve immediately.
- Add a few splashes or hot sauce.
Now.. if you want to make some spinoff’s of this try the following:
|Chicken & Broccoli Stuffed||Spinach Mushroom Feta||Mexican Stuffed||Chili Stuffed|
Starting at step 4 above, add the butter. Next mix up the chicken, broccoli, salt & pepper. Add to the tater.
Cover with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and center is hot. Top with chives.
Starting at step 4 above, add the butter. Next mix up the spinach, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper. Add to the tater.
Cover with the feta cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and center is hot.
Hollow out the tater. Next mix up the taco meat, salsa and hot sauce. Add to the tater.
Cover with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and center is hot. Top with sour cream, cilantro and crushed tortilla chips.
Hollow out the tater. Add the chili and black beans to the tater.
Cover with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and center is hot. Top with sour cream, green onions and dash of hot sauce. Serve with a side of corn bread.
The spin-offs of this are endless.
*note: If you’re using leftover baked potatoes, you’ll need to reheat them. The easiest method is to wrap each one in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1-3 minutes. There is no need to toss them in the oven to recrisp the skin as they will do this while you’re making the above recipe.