Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…

So juicy. So tender. So AMAZING! Go get your forks for this!

So as you all know there is this on-going bbq battle in my house – going on what 3, maybe 4 years now.  I’ve finally given up on getting a new one.. for now.  While it’s a nice-to-have-a-new-one it’s not a necessity for me.  Almost everything you make on a bbq, I can make either on the indoor grill (word to the wise, make sure you have a great exhaust fan) or oven.  From my baked corn and baked sweet potato to baked russets I’ve got a good grip on making it just as fabulous, if not more, indoors.  Well the one thing that always besieged me was steaks.  Oh how I truly love a fat juicy steak (with ketchup…  yes with ketchup!  SHUT IT, don’t judge!  I like ketchup!) sadly the steak doesn’t like me. My stomach says “OH HELL NO!”… that’s all I’m gonna say ’bout that.

Now Mr. Fantabulous loves his steak!  He’s a true carnivore.  Now I always thought an amazing steak could only be had via a grill of sorts.  I tried in the past, numerous times, trying to make it indoors but it never EVER worked out. It was either tough as shoe leather, raw or I would end up smoking us out of the house using the indoor grill.  Okay truth be told, maybe I did make a a bit more smoke than normal (I figured if I kept smoking him out of the house that he’d get the hint and we’d go get a new bbq)… sigh.. he just turned on the big exhaust fan and helped fan out the rooms.  Oh gee.. thanks honey.  Damn it! 🙂

It wasn’t until I was watching Hell’s Kitchen a few ago did I actually pay attention while they were making steaks.  Pan seared then in the oven.  Hmmm… me thinks they were on to something 🙂

So that night, I stopped at our local butcher’s shop (God I seriously love the local butcher type store versus the commercial grocery meat department). I seasoned it, let it rest and then gave it a shot.  When I told Mr. Fantabulous what I was doing he said “um baby, make sure you have the exhaust fans on BEFORE you start cooking.”  LI swear if he wasn’t so damn hot I’d beat that man.  LOL

Well let me tell you what people.  This steak was perfect.  No, it was BEYOND PERFECTION!  I mean.. I would put this up against any restaurant steak.  It’s THAT good.

Now I did think maybe I got lucky but I’ve made this dish umpteen times since I first made it and it’s been perfection every single time.

Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks...

Rating

Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Ingredients
  • 2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
  • 1 Tbl Worcestershire
  • 1-2 Tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 2 Tbl butter, unsalted
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 Tbl Olive Oil
Instructions
  1. Pat the steaks dry.
  2. Add 1 1/2tsp Worcestershire to the one side.
  3. Add half of the seasoning and press down.
  4. Flip the steak and add the remaining Worcestershire and seasoning.
  5. All to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 400f.
  7. Place a cast iron pan or stainless (oven safe) pan (NOT NON STICK!), over medium high heat.
  8. Drizzle the olive oil onto the steak and flip to get all sides coated.
  9. When the pan is super hot (add a few drops of water to it. If they dance around and evaporate almost immediately then you’re good!) add the steaks. DO NOT FLIP yet.
  10. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms.
  11. Flip over and immediately shut off the heat to the pan.
  12. Working fast add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top.
  13. Put the pan into the oven.
  14. Cook per the 'doneness' in the Notes field.
  15. When done, remove the pan from the oven and plate the steak.
  16. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
Notes
See below for times: Very Rare 4-5 minutes Rare 5-6 minutes Medium Rare 6-8 minutes Medium 7-10 minutes Well done Not Recommended

Add the oil, Worcestershire and seasonings then let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Pan searing for about 5 minutes

Pan Seared for ~ 5 minutes

Add your butter and thyme and pop it into your oven!

Better than a restaurant New York Strip!

Oh and yes, that was served with a perfectly baked sweet potato!

289 Responses to “Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…”

• Lance says:

Hey there,

I got the inch and a half part, cooked a few filet miggy’s before (i am a recent convert to cast iron skillet, my weber genisis is REALLY jealous) they were perfect. Now the Filets are of course super expensive (but worth it). Can this work on Sirloin Filets as well? Or a nice thick sirloin steak? Buying 1.5 nice rib eyes are great but way to much $$$ and they come in at a pound and change, so a little too much food. I have a source of great USDA choice+ sirloin filets at $8 per pound, so eager to hear your reply

Hi Lance!

It will work but watch your time of cooking in the oven due to the difference in fat content between the sirloin vs the strip steak.

Sirloin has less fat so it can be tough.

• Kate says:

My favorite: cooking time for well done temperature – not recommended. Hahaha 110% agree , I wish people in the restaurant I work knew that when they order a filet mignon well done 😂 thanks for the recipe!

• bonny says:

I am confused. first you say Dont flip. So do you only sear one side then put in oven with no seared side down.?? or do you sear on both sides. (that would mean you do flip it) from looks of pictures you seared both sides Help

Hi Bonny!

Step 9 is when you put the steaks in the pan. Do not flip YET. Cook for 4-5 minutes to get the sear. Then in step 11 I tell you to flip it then immediately put the pan in the oven. You only flip once and that’s right before you put it in the oven. Make sense?

• Stephanie says:

I just made this tonight, only I seared the steaks on the grill (because we do NOT have a good exhaust fan in our kitchen). They were perfect! I am definitely using this recipe again. Thanks!

• Liz says:

Today Is Father’s Day and I am grilling NY strip steaks….but next time I will defintely try your recipe!! I have been wondering how to cook them on the stove/oven and your steaks liok marvelous! Thank you!

• Annette says:

Today I decided to buy a New York City steak and then google how to prepare it. Luckily I bout it fresh and knew enough to let it get to room temperature before putting on the seasoning and worcestershire sauce. ThenI googles how to cook this type of steak and it was wonderful! I did it right and it’s because of you’re instructions and recipe. Next time I will want to try the Balsamic Vinegar since I love using it for meat recipes. Thank you for this and I will no longer shy away from meat cuts that I’ve never cooked before!

Yeah!!! So happy you loved it! Balsamic would be amazing on this!

• Annette says:

Thank you for responding and sorry about the typos. I’ve always shyed away from expensive cuts of beef. Since becoming empty nesters, I’m trying to be more experimental with meals and special cuts of meat that need special treatment. My tendency with everything except a good roast in the crock pot, I would end up drying out the main dish or it would be rubber like and dry. Thanks again and the photos of the process is invaluable! AB

• Dan Conkey says:

Why are my NY strips black? 4 minutes medium high in an All Clad pan.

Hey Dan,

What type of All-Clad pan did you use? In the pics, the pan is actually an All-Clad pan. How thick were your steaks?

• Teechur says:

Holy cow…well obviously not, because we ate her. That was AMAZING! I had just choice cut NY Steak, but it was still a tasty cut, just not as tender as it could have been. The flavor was amazing. I won’t cook steak any other way! Thank you!

From now on, Costco Prime.

• Tara says:

Delicious!!! I ruin meat all the time (and tend to turn it into leather) but was craving a steak. We had the large Costco-sized ones and it was perfection. Tender, juicy; I can’t believe I was the cook! Thank you so much!

• Crystal says:

I was 3 minutes into pan searing a couple of prime1 strip steaks when i came upon your recipe. I finished up your way (and added butter, thyme, and balsamic vinegar) to the oven part. Perfection! Best NY strip ever! Thanks for the recipe.

Oh great addition of the balsamic vinegar! That had to impart incredible flavor. Thank you so much for your kind words!

• Bda31175 says:

This is my third time on this site to get the times/recipes for cooking strips on the stovetop and oven. Spotty memory I guess. Perfect every time! Thanks.

• Loves to Cook says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe! It is great, especially when cooking for just one or two. I printed it out and gave a copy to all my employees!! Thank you!

• Loves To Cook says:

This recipe is spot on and creates a perfect steak!! Great when you fixing for just one or two!! And, yes, I had to increase the time in the oven for a thicker steak. Thank you so much for this recipe. I printed it out and gave one to all my employees!

• Crystal says:

Over the years, I have tried many different techniques and recipes for cooking steaks on the stove top, in the oven or a combination of both. This is hands down the tastiest, easiest and best recipe that I’ve ever used! The steaks were flavorful, delicious, and cooked perfectly. This is now my go to steak recipe. It was so good that we were almost licking the plate and gnawing on the bones – truthfully, we were! Thank you so much for this recipe!

Hi Crystal!

lol I love plate licking compliments! I’m thrilled you loved it so much! Thank you.

• Tressa C. says:

I am letting the steaks get to room temperature right now! I’m so excited to cook them, however I have only have one question. Since I’m at my fiance’ s house I’m unsure if any of his pans are oven safe, so hopefully from a pan to a preheated oven will work!

1. I realized AFTER I seasoned them that they are not Thick, should I just adjust my cooking times?

Thank You so much!

• Sala says:

It makes a world of difference if you preheat your skillet to 400 in the oven 1st. (careful handling) Cast iron and other metals actually heat very unevenly on a stove top. The oven preheat corrects this issue and guarantees proper skillet temp and evenly cooked meat. I also additionally season lightly with smoked paprika for it’s natural browning attributes. Steaks should be room temp at start.

• Stacey says:

Thanks for the tip, Sala! I made this before and am getting requests for it again but my stove sucks at heating anything evenly!! I will try the oven pre-heat thing tonight!

• Michael says:

This is how I make mine…with one slight variation. I start mine in the oven and then pan sear at the end. This prevents the “bullseye doneness” and makes it one temp all the way through.

• Jennifer says:

THANK YOU for publishing this recipe! I reference it EVERY time I make NY’s. Absolutely PERFECT and DELICIOUS every time!!

• Cherie says:

This is by far THE BEST steak recipe my daughter has found! We LOVE it!! We’ve made it a handful of times with different cuts of steak, and it is PERFECT! And for those complaining about the doneness have to realize that all ovens are not created equal…you have to check on them the first time you cook them, then you’ll know how long to cook them in YOUR oven. Can you sense my excitement?!? My husband loves it so much that he has co-workers asking for the recipe…and I’ve accommodated. 😉

WOO HOO that’s awesome to hear Cherie! Thank you so very much 🙂 And I agree, not ovens read the same exact temp. Plus the cuts of steak and the thickness are also important factors here.

And thank you for sharing it with his co-workers too 🙂

• Cody says:

It was Meh, time was off steaks came out too done. It could have been me they tasted great just wanted rare ended up with well.

Cody how thick were your steaks? 3 things will affect the doneness of these steaks:
      1. The steaks must be at least 1″ thick.
      2. They aren’t over seared on the stove – this can happen. It’s seared too much to the point it’s almost burnt
      3. Internal oven temperature is accurately gauged at 400F.

The last one happened to me when my thermostat went on my oven. I had it set to 400 but it was reading at 475F after I tested it.

• Kasia says:

This was my first time finishing the steak in the oven and I’m a huge long time fan of Hells Kitchen haha. Your recipe is perfection. I didn’t do the marinade but did the rest to a tee and I’ve never heard my bf compliment a steak this much before, he kept saying it was perfect and made robust sounds, I’ve made steak before but this level of satisfaction was new to me. Thank you so much for sharing your technique, this helps when you need guidance and don’t want to waste ingredients you worked hard for.

*grinning from ear to ear* YEAH!!!!!! Thank you so much Kasia for your kind words! I’m thrilled that you loved them and that your bf went nuts over them! Rock on!!! 🙂

• MsTatum says:

My fiancé loves fat! Will it make a difference if I don’t trim from my strips?

Hi Ms. Tatum 🙂

Not really, it just may “spatter” more when you cook it. Most remove it from the meat only because they don’t like eating it; that’s honestly the only real benefit that I know of.

• Cecelia Liposky says:

I made this for Valentines day. It was as good as you said! I will definitely make this again.

• Brandy H. says:

These were A-MAZING! We had them tonight for our Valentine’s dinner! They turned out perfectly. So juicy and tender! Thanks for the awesome recipe…who needs a grill?!?!

That’s awesome Brandy! Thank you so much for such kind words! And agreed, who needs a grill! Even if/when I get a grill I will only ever make them in the oven like this.

• Norma Asher says:

I want to shout from the roof tops!! I have been trying to make a decent home cooked steak for my husband for over 40 years! Thanks to you I finally did it!! I used a corning ware pan. I will make more for him. I don’t care for steak.
    Thanks again!!!

WOO HOO! Go me, Go you, GO US!!! I’m so happy for you (and your hubby!). You rocked it girlfriend! Thank you so much!

• Joe says:

The best cast iron steak I’ve done. Came out perfect. I didn’t have the Montreal seasoning or thyme but will make sure to pick them up next time. I salted my cast iron skillet beforehand. Should have saved this one for Valentine’s Day. Great stuff.

Woohoo! Thank you so much! Think of the one you just made as a practice. Now you know you can knock it out of the park on Valentine’s Day!

• Jill says:

Hi! I’ve made this and raved about it in the past. Quick question for you…do you think this would work with a venison back Strap?

• Robyn says:

I will be trying this tonight. The previous attempts resulted in shoe leather. Ugh! Thanks for sharing.
    Reading your post you remind me of me. 😊

• Jim Wagner says:

I am going to try this tonight and I have 2 inch steaks from Costco that are each about 20 oz. each. Mmmmm, yummy, we are going to be eating a side of cow. Do you have recommended cooking times for steaks this thick?

WOW, that’s incredible! I’m thinking for 2″ thick you’re probably going to have to go with the following times:

Very Rare 4-5 minutes Rare 8-10 minutes Medium Rare 9-11 minutes Medium 10-12 minutes Well done Not Recommended

Let me know how it turns out!