Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…

So juicy. So tender. So AMAZING! Go get your forks for this!

So as you all know there is this on-going bbq battle in my house – going on what 3, maybe 4 years now.  I’ve finally given up on getting a new one.. for now.  While it’s a nice-to-have-a-new-one it’s not a necessity for me.  Almost everything you make on a bbq, I can make either on the indoor grill (word to the wise, make sure you have a great exhaust fan) or oven.  From my baked corn and baked sweet potato to baked russets I’ve got a good grip on making it just as fabulous, if not more, indoors.  Well the one thing that always besieged me was steaks.  Oh how I truly love a fat juicy steak (with ketchup…  yes with ketchup!  SHUT IT, don’t judge!  I like ketchup!) sadly the steak doesn’t like me. My stomach says “OH HELL NO!”… that’s all I’m gonna say ’bout that.

Now Mr. Fantabulous loves his steak!  He’s a true carnivore.  Now I always thought an amazing steak could only be had via a grill of sorts.  I tried in the past, numerous times, trying to make it indoors but it never EVER worked out. It was either tough as shoe leather, raw or I would end up smoking us out of the house using the indoor grill.  Okay truth be told, maybe I did make a a bit more smoke than normal (I figured if I kept smoking him out of the house that he’d get the hint and we’d go get a new bbq)… sigh.. he just turned on the big exhaust fan and helped fan out the rooms.  Oh gee.. thanks honey.  Damn it! 🙂

It wasn’t until I was watching Hell’s Kitchen a few ago did I actually pay attention while they were making steaks.  Pan seared then in the oven.  Hmmm… me thinks they were on to something 🙂

So that night, I stopped at our local butcher’s shop (God I seriously love the local butcher type store versus the commercial grocery meat department). I seasoned it, let it rest and then gave it a shot.  When I told Mr. Fantabulous what I was doing he said “um baby, make sure you have the exhaust fans on BEFORE you start cooking.”  LI swear if he wasn’t so damn hot I’d beat that man.  LOL

Well let me tell you what people.  This steak was perfect.  No, it was BEYOND PERFECTION!  I mean.. I would put this up against any restaurant steak.  It’s THAT good.

Now I did think maybe I got lucky but I’ve made this dish umpteen times since I first made it and it’s been perfection every single time.

5.0 from 132 reviews
Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks...

Author:

Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Ingredients
  • 2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
  • 1 Tbl Worcestershire
  • 1-2 Tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 2 Tbl butter, unsalted
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 Tbl Olive Oil
Instructions
  1. Pat the steaks dry.
  2. Add 1 1/2tsp Worcestershire to the one side.
  3. Add half of the seasoning and press down.
  4. Flip the steak and add the remaining Worcestershire and seasoning.
  5. All to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 400f.
  7. Place a cast iron pan or stainless (oven safe) pan (NOT NON STICK!), over medium high heat.
  8. Drizzle the olive oil onto the steak and flip to get all sides coated.
  9. When the pan is super hot (add a few drops of water to it. If they dance around and evaporate almost immediately then you’re good!) add the steaks. DO NOT FLIP yet.
  10. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms.
  11. Flip over and immediately shut off the heat to the pan.
  12. Working fast add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top.
  13. Put the pan into the oven.
  14. Cook per the 'doneness' in the Notes field.
  15. When done, remove the pan from the oven and plate the steak.
  16. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
Notes
See below for times: Very Rare 4-5 minutes Rare 5-6 minutes Medium Rare 6-8 minutes Medium 7-10 minutes Well done Not Recommended

Add the oil, Worcestershire and seasonings then let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Pan searing for about 5 minutes

Pan Seared for ~ 5 minutes

Add your butter and thyme and pop it into your oven!

Better than a restaurant New York Strip!

Oh and yes, that was served with a perfectly baked sweet potato!

250 Responses to “Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…”

• Cody says:

It was Meh, time was off steaks came out too done. It could have been me they tasted great just wanted rare ended up with well.

Cody how thick were your steaks? 3 things will affect the doneness of these steaks:
      1. The steaks must be at least 1″ thick.
      2. They aren’t over seared on the stove – this can happen. It’s seared too much to the point it’s almost burnt
      3. Internal oven temperature is accurately gauged at 400F.

The last one happened to me when my thermostat went on my oven. I had it set to 400 but it was reading at 475F after I tested it.

• Kasia says:

This was my first time finishing the steak in the oven and I’m a huge long time fan of Hells Kitchen haha. Your recipe is perfection. I didn’t do the marinade but did the rest to a tee and I’ve never heard my bf compliment a steak this much before, he kept saying it was perfect and made robust sounds, I’ve made steak before but this level of satisfaction was new to me. Thank you so much for sharing your technique, this helps when you need guidance and don’t want to waste ingredients you worked hard for.

*grinning from ear to ear* YEAH!!!!!! Thank you so much Kasia for your kind words! I’m thrilled that you loved them and that your bf went nuts over them! Rock on!!! 🙂

• MsTatum says:

My fiancé loves fat! Will it make a difference if I don’t trim from my strips?

Hi Ms. Tatum 🙂

Not really, it just may “spatter” more when you cook it. Most remove it from the meat only because they don’t like eating it; that’s honestly the only real benefit that I know of.

• Cecelia Liposky says:

I made this for Valentines day. It was as good as you said! I will definitely make this again.

• Brandy H. says:

These were A-MAZING! We had them tonight for our Valentine’s dinner! They turned out perfectly. So juicy and tender! Thanks for the awesome recipe…who needs a grill?!?!

That’s awesome Brandy! Thank you so much for such kind words! And agreed, who needs a grill! Even if/when I get a grill I will only ever make them in the oven like this.

• Norma Asher says:

I want to shout from the roof tops!! I have been trying to make a decent home cooked steak for my husband for over 40 years! Thanks to you I finally did it!! I used a corning ware pan. I will make more for him. I don’t care for steak.
    Thanks again!!!

WOO HOO! Go me, Go you, GO US!!! I’m so happy for you (and your hubby!). You rocked it girlfriend! Thank you so much!

• Joe says:

The best cast iron steak I’ve done. Came out perfect. I didn’t have the Montreal seasoning or thyme but will make sure to pick them up next time. I salted my cast iron skillet beforehand. Should have saved this one for Valentine’s Day. Great stuff.

Woohoo! Thank you so much! Think of the one you just made as a practice. Now you know you can knock it out of the park on Valentine’s Day!

• Jill says:

Hi! I’ve made this and raved about it in the past. Quick question for you…do you think this would work with a venison back Strap?

• Robyn says:

I will be trying this tonight. The previous attempts resulted in shoe leather. Ugh! Thanks for sharing.
    Reading your post you remind me of me. 😊

• Jim Wagner says:

I am going to try this tonight and I have 2 inch steaks from Costco that are each about 20 oz. each. Mmmmm, yummy, we are going to be eating a side of cow. Do you have recommended cooking times for steaks this thick?

WOW, that’s incredible! I’m thinking for 2″ thick you’re probably going to have to go with the following times:

Very Rare 4-5 minutes Rare 8-10 minutes Medium Rare 9-11 minutes Medium 10-12 minutes Well done Not Recommended

Let me know how it turns out!