Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…

So as you all know there is this on-going bbq battle in my house – going on what 3, maybe 4 years now.  I’ve finally given up on getting a new one.. for now.  While it’s a nice-to-have-a-new-one it’s not a necessity for me.  Almost everything you make on a bbq, I can make either on the indoor grill (word to the wise, make sure you have a great exhaust fan) or oven.  From my baked corn and baked sweet potato to baked russets I’ve got a good grip on making it just as fabulous, if not more, indoors.  Well the one thing that always besieged me was steaks.  Oh how I truly love a fat juicy steak (with ketchup…  yes with ketchup!  SHUT IT, don’t judge!  I like ketchup!) sadly the steak doesn’t like me. My stomach says “OH HELL NO!”… that’s all I’m gonna say ’bout that.

So juicy. So tender. So AMAZING! Go get your forks for this!

Now Mr. Fantabulous loves his steak!  He’s a true carnivore.  Now I always thought an amazing steak could only be had via a grill of sorts.  I tried in the past, numerous times, trying to make it indoors but it never EVER worked out. It was either tough as shoe leather, raw or I would end up smoking us out of the house using the indoor grill.  Okay truth be told, maybe I did make a a bit more smoke than normal (I figured if I kept smoking him out of the house that he’d get the hint and we’d go get a new bbq)… sigh.. he just turned on the big exhaust fan and helped fan out the rooms.  Oh gee.. thanks honey.  Damn it! 🙂

It wasn’t until I was watching Hell’s Kitchen a few ago did I actually pay attention while they were making steaks.  Pan seared then in the oven.  Hmmm… me thinks they were on to something 🙂

So that night, I stopped at our local butcher’s shop (God I seriously love the local butcher type store versus the commercial grocery meat department). I seasoned it, let it rest and then gave it a shot.  When I told Mr. Fantabulous what I was doing he said “um baby, make sure you have the exhaust fans on BEFORE you start cooking.”  LI swear if he wasn’t so damn hot I’d beat that man.  LOL

Well let me tell you what people.  This steak was perfect.  No, it was BEYOND PERFECTION!  I mean.. I would put this up against any restaurant steak.  It’s THAT good.

Now I did think maybe I got lucky but I’ve made this dish umpteen times since I first made it and it’s been perfection every single time.

Add the Worcestershire and seasonings then let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Pan searing for about 5 minutes

Pan Seared for ~ 5 minutes

Add your butter and thyme and pop it into your oven!

Better than a restaurant New York Strip!

Roasted Sweet Potato with grapes and honey

Roasted Sweet Potato with grapes and honey

Oven Roasted Garlic Herbed Mushrooms

Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks...

Rating

Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Ingredients
  • 2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
  • 1 Tbl Worcestershire
  • 1-2 Tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 2 Tbl butter, unsalted
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 Tbl Olive Oil
Instructions
  1. Pat the steaks dry.
  2. Add 1 1/2tsp Worcestershire to the one side.
  3. Add half of the seasoning and press down.
  4. Flip the steak and add the remaining Worcestershire and seasoning.
  5. All to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 400f.
  7. Place a cast iron pan or stainless (oven safe) pan (NOT NON STICK!), over medium high heat.
  8. Drizzle the olive oil onto the steak and flip to get all sides coated.
  9. When the pan is super hot (add a few drops of water to it. If they dance around and evaporate almost immediately then you’re good!) add the steaks. DO NOT FLIP yet.
  10. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms.
  11. Flip over and immediately shut off the heat to the pan.
  12. Working fast add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top.
  13. Put the pan into the oven.
  14. Cook per the 'doneness' in the Notes field.
  15. When done, remove the pan from the oven and plate the steak.
  16. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
Notes
See below for times: Very Rare 4-5 minutes Rare 5-6 minutes Medium Rare 6-8 minutes Medium 7-10 minutes Well done Not Recommended

Oh and yes, that was served with a perfectly baked sweet potato!

336 Responses to “Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…”

• Veronica Smith says:

Wow‼️ This was awesome 👏🏽 I! My family cleaned their plates- nothing was left. My mother who does not like steak ate it and raved about how tasty and juicy it was‼️😄. The only thing I added was some sautéed mushrooms 🍄 and onions on the top😄 I served it with a baked sweet potato, okra and tomatoes, corn 🌽 and corn bread. Thanks for an awesome recipe‼️

Mmm corn bread sounds amazing with steak! That’s perfect to sop up the juices! I’m so happy everyone and Mom loved it!

• Tina Duc says:

This seriously turned out perfect…. I only cook steaks on the grill but that will now change … perfect crust and perfectly done. Fiollowed the directions ..

• Sarah says:

The forced ads are super annoying thanks

Sarah,

I have no ads in my posts. I have one ad on my entire site that is in my side bar that only shows up when you view my site on a non-mobile device. Not sure what you’re referring to.

• ANGELIA MOSS says:

Just finished dinner! And omg best steak ever! Thank you! Hubby said bettee than any restaurant!

• CindyH says:

I put the stars on my previous post, but they disappeared. Definitely 5-star!

• CindyH says:

Thank you, thank you! This was the best steak I’ve ever prepared. It was easy and oh so tasty!

• Karen says:

This looks fantastic! I can’t wait to try it. we love the Jack Daniels marinades. Ant reason we couldn’t use those instead of the Worcestershire and steak seasoning?

Hi Karen!

I don’t see why not. For me, when I eat steak, I want to taste the steak and no so much of a marinade but that’s just a personal preference.

• Jan says:

Thanks for the recipe and cook times…we loved it!!

• I’m on my fourth Steak since reading this recipe. I just love love it! I just had a question. How do you ..personally clean your skillet after making this.

• OpenToNewIdeas says:

Do you sear for 5 minutes in each side before putting in the oven, or just one then flip then oven?

No, you only sear one side, flip, shut off the stove top, add the butter/etc and then put it into the oven to finish cooking.

• Theresa Sherman says:

Temp for the oven.and how long

Hi Theresa,

It’s in the instructions. 400F. Very Rare 4-5 minutes Rare 5-6 minutes Medium Rare 6-8 minutes Medium 7-10 minutes Well done Not Recommended for 1 1/2″ thick steaks

• T. Langston says:

FABULOUS! Stayed away from NY Strips for years because they nevery came out juicy. But, voila! Thanks a million!

• Kim says:

Love your humor! I will be trying this. Always looking for a great way to fix a steak 🙂

• Deidre Grewell says:

I just tried this your way and OMG. It Really is better than any steak I’ve ever cooked! Thank you Sooo much!

• Judy says:

I love steak….well done. I tried this, even cooked it well done. It was sooooooo good and tender. I rarely cook steak at home, but that is about to change. Thanks for this magnificent and easy recipe for steak.

• AnnoyingCommentGuy says:

Your directions say add Worcestershire and seasoning then drizzle with oil before putting in the pan, your pictures say add oil, Worcestershire, and seasoning before the 30 minute rest. Please clarify. Thank you!

• Shari says:

Forgot to give you stars!

• Shari says:

I seriously was so so so so happy with this. I have NEVER made a steak so good!
    Thank you so much for sharing!

• Janet says:

Wow, first time cooking a steak inside. Also afraid of the texture, remembering many a broiled Sunday steak growing up that could have easily soled my father’s shoes. Followed timing to a “T” took some liberty with seasonings. I was pleasantly surprised
    with the tender outcome of the steak. Was DELISH! Thank you so much for posting the recipe. The title was definitely a grabber and true to its name!