Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…

So juicy. So tender. So AMAZING! Go get your forks for this!

So as you all know there is this on-going bbq battle in my house – going on what 3, maybe 4 years now.  I’ve finally given up on getting a new one.. for now.  While it’s a nice-to-have-a-new-one it’s not a necessity for me.  Almost everything you make on a bbq, I can make either on the indoor grill (word to the wise, make sure you have a great exhaust fan) or oven.  From my baked corn and baked sweet potato to baked russets I’ve got a good grip on making it just as fabulous, if not more, indoors.  Well the one thing that always besieged me was steaks.  Oh how I truly love a fat juicy steak (with ketchup…  yes with ketchup!  SHUT IT, don’t judge!  I like ketchup!) sadly the steak doesn’t like me. My stomach says “OH HELL NO!”… that’s all I’m gonna say ’bout that.

Now Mr. Fantabulous loves his steak!  He’s a true carnivore.  Now I always thought an amazing steak could only be had via a grill of sorts.  I tried in the past, numerous times, trying to make it indoors but it never EVER worked out. It was either tough as shoe leather, raw or I would end up smoking us out of the house using the indoor grill.  Okay truth be told, maybe I did make a a bit more smoke than normal (I figured if I kept smoking him out of the house that he’d get the hint and we’d go get a new bbq)… sigh.. he just turned on the big exhaust fan and helped fan out the rooms.  Oh gee.. thanks honey.  Damn it! 🙂

It wasn’t until I was watching Hell’s Kitchen a few ago did I actually pay attention while they were making steaks.  Pan seared then in the oven.  Hmmm… me thinks they were on to something 🙂

So that night, I stopped at our local butcher’s shop (God I seriously love the local butcher type store versus the commercial grocery meat department). I seasoned it, let it rest and then gave it a shot.  When I told Mr. Fantabulous what I was doing he said “um baby, make sure you have the exhaust fans on BEFORE you start cooking.”  LI swear if he wasn’t so damn hot I’d beat that man.  LOL

Well let me tell you what people.  This steak was perfect.  No, it was BEYOND PERFECTION!  I mean.. I would put this up against any restaurant steak.  It’s THAT good.

Now I did think maybe I got lucky but I’ve made this dish umpteen times since I first made it and it’s been perfection every single time.

5.0 from 127 reviews
Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks...

Author:

Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Ingredients
  • 2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
  • 1 Tbl Worcestershire
  • 1-2 Tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 2 Tbl butter, unsalted
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 Tbl Olive Oil
Instructions
  1. Pat the steaks dry.
  2. Add 1 1/2tsp Worcestershire to the one side.
  3. Add half of the seasoning and press down.
  4. Flip the steak and add the remaining Worcestershire and seasoning.
  5. All to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 400f.
  7. Place a cast iron pan or stainless (oven safe) pan (NOT NON STICK!), over medium high heat.
  8. Drizzle the olive oil onto the steak and flip to get all sides coated.
  9. When the pan is super hot (add a few drops of water to it. If they dance around and evaporate almost immediately then you’re good!) add the steaks. DO NOT FLIP yet.
  10. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms.
  11. Flip over and immediately shut off the heat to the pan.
  12. Working fast add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top.
  13. Put the pan into the oven.
  14. Cook per the 'doneness' in the Notes field.
  15. When done, remove the pan from the oven and plate the steak.
  16. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
Notes
See below for times: Very Rare 4-5 minutes Rare 5-6 minutes Medium Rare 6-8 minutes Medium 7-10 minutes Well done Not Recommended

Add the oil, Worcestershire and seasonings then let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Pan searing for about 5 minutes

Pan Seared for ~ 5 minutes

Add your butter and thyme and pop it into your oven!

Better than a restaurant New York Strip!

Oh and yes, that was served with a perfectly baked sweet potato!

229 Responses to “Better than restaurant quality New York Strip Steaks…”

• K.C. Rilla says:

OMG, you just saved my life! (And my marriage…). I grew up vegetarian, though I am no longer. Ever since I met my husband, I’ve slowly come around to the tasty side of life lol. But, I didn’t grow up cooking it, so it’s a real learning curve for me. The Mr. is a real “steak and potatoes” kind of guy, and I’ve never been able to master the art. My steaks always came out too tough! But let me tell you, I made these tonight and he won’t shut up about how great they were lol. Literally, the dishes have been washed and we’ve been watching TV. He’s STILL talking. These came out perfect – perfectly seasoned, melted in our mouths – PERFECTION. You are an angel sent from heaven. Bless you!!! And a million thanks.

Oh K.C. you so put the biggest smile on my face! I’m THRILLED that you rocked this dish and your hubby is still praising you for this! WOO HOO! Thank you so much for letting me know this and making my night!

• Denise says:

Question: I like mine medium rare, he likes his medium well. How do I make this happen?

Easy Denise – cook them both on the stove at the same time and pop them in the oven. For his, cook his a little longer than yours. Just take yours out prior to his and while yours is resting, his can continue cooking. In the notes and posts I lists the suggested times for the various stages of doneness.

Best Kitchen Wishes and Happy New Year!

• Adam says:

You can either take the medium rare out at the allotted cooking time or do them separately

• Elsa says:

Thank you so much! We just finished this (my college age son and daughter) and it was WONDERFUL. I didn’t mess it up! It wasn’t tough or overdone, but tender and juicy! I just made the best steak in my life! Even the pan juices were outstanding. Me and my trusty cast iron skillet–which makes everything better– Once I read that this recipe called for a oven ready skillet, I figured it was worth a try. And it was.
    Folks, follow the instructions and you can’t go wrong. You truly are a Kitchen Whisperer.

Hi Elsa,

That is awesome to hear! I’m so happy you guys all loved it! Thank you so much 🙂 And I’m with you on the cast iron pan – love love love mine!

Best Kitchen Wishes and Happy New Year!

• Pat says:

Just tryed this method tonight, works wonderful.I think next time I will omit the Worcestershire sauce.I thought it was a little spicy, I do like the Montreal seasoning thou, the steak sure was tender. I am 65 years old and I finally know how to cook a steak ! Thank you.

Thank you so much Pat! I’m so happy you loved it as much as we do! 65 or 25 you now mastered cooking the perfect steak! WOO HOO!

Best Kitchen Wishes and Happy New Year!

• Michael Dier says:

Hello first of all I have never seen another steak recipe method with a unanimous five-star rating while being judged by this many people so kudos for that. fYI I just looked through about 30 of them. My real question is I have all the items needed but I have 2 16oz steaks will your searing and oven time here work for that size? Also are the ingredients per steak? As in each steak gets

2 1-1 1/2” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
    1 Tbl Worcestershire
    1-2 Tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
    2 Tbl butter, unsalted
    2 sprigs of fresh thyme
    1 Tbl Olive Oil

Or is this split between the two.

I hope these questions aren’t too silly I’m not very experienced here.

Thanks

Hi Michael!

Welcome to the site 🙂 Yes, this recipe has been one of my more popular posts and one that I’m truly proud of.

So your 16 oz steaks, how thick are they? That’s what’s most important here. They need to be 1-1 1/2″ inches thick. If you had a 16 oz steak but it was only 1/4″ thick it would cook super fast versus having a 16 oz steak but having it be super thick but say only 3″ round. So as long as they are 1 – 1 1/2″ thick follow the cooking times above.

Now your question about the ingredients – that’s enough for both steaks. Just divide it up evenly among the two steaks.

And please, no questions are silly! We all have to learn and the best way to learn is ask questions 🙂

Best Kitchen Wishes and Merry Christmas!

• Jaclyn says:

Hi. I’m going to try this recipe tonight! Looks delish! Also, why do you not recommend using a non stick pan? That’s all I have, and its manufacture says it can go in the oven up to 450 degrees. Thanks!

Hi Jaclyn!

I only recommend stainless or cast iron in this recipe. They are the only ones that will work and give you that proper sear. From an engineering standpoint you’ll never be able to get the same effect from the non-stick plus you risk ruining the coating of the non-stick. Even though your manufacturer states it can hold up to 450F, I would still err on the side of caution.

• Rae says:

After many extremely disappointing (expensive) fails at cooking/grilling/pan cooking/broiling aarrgh! steaks, I had pretty much given up…there were some beautiful NY strips at the store the other day and some crazy I-don’t-know-what possessed me to buy them. Now I had them home and had to figure out what to do with them. Am I ever relieved to have found you!!! I made your recipe – only changes being using olive oil drizzled on the steak instead of butter and a sprinkle of dried thyme (what I had). Since my pan isn’t big enough to accommodate the 5 steaks I had, I placed a heavy baking sheet in the oven while the oven came to temp and placed the steaks directly on the hot sheet pan in the oven after getting a good crust on them in my cast iron pan. It was my son’s birthday dinner, and he was in heaven! Thank you so much for rescuing steak dinners for my family and me! My boys asked if I saved the link to your recipe????

Hi Rae 🙂

Thank you so very, very much! I’m thrilled you found me too 🙂 Oh that’s a great idea about using the heavy sheet pan. I worry about advising people to use them for instances like this (or even making pizza) as the quality of pans vary greatly and I’ve seen some sheet pans warp at high temps. You’re right, the trick is using a heavy sheet pan for sure! Great job!

And I’m so happy your son’s birthday dinner was awesome! Wish him happy belated birthday from me!

• Patrick, the Ceaseless Hunger says:

This recipe has opened my eyes to a new world of possibilities with steak. The herb butter is what really puts this dish over the top. Well done!

• Andrew Torchine says:

Got 1 pound NY strip steaks. Had to increase oven time to 14 minutes for medium rare but came out amazing!!!

• Dasho says:

Steak doesn’t like you because you put ketchup on it 😀

Great recipe and info,thanks.

• Lisa says:

This is a holy grail steak recipe! I used it Friday night, following the directions exactly. Our steaks were a nice size so I did the full five minutes in the skillet and eight minutes in the oven. (I didn’t have a thermometer handy so I went by instinct.) After five minutes rest, these steaks were PERFECTION! The whole table raved; and one person said it was the best steak she’d ever had in her life, even compared to fancy restaurants.

I’m so happy to know this! Thank you!!

Oh Lisa I so wish you could see the huge smile you put on my face. And hey I always trust my gut and instinct too so bravo! Thank you so so SO much for your kind words and compliments. That really means the world to me!

• Faith says:

Will this recipe work for Petite Sirloin Steaks? I found some on sale yesterday and I am dying to cook them when I get off tonight.

Hi Faith!

Okay first I’m UBER jealous you got those steaks on sale! And yes you can use this recipe on those steaks. Just watch the thickness of them as you may need to adjust the time you cook them.

• Patti says:

Hi tkw! I’m giving this a try tonight and I was wondering why you shouldn’t use a non stick pan?

HI Patti!

Sorry I didn’t get to this earlier today. I was busy doing yard work and then dealing with a 300lb black bear on my property (it’s still here! YIKES!)

For this recipe you only want to use cast iron or stainless pans. They are the only ones that will work and give you that proper sear. From an engineering standpoint you’ll never be able to get the same effect from the non-stick plus you risk ruining the coating of the non-stick.

• Shannon says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve made it three times now and each time it’s been cooked to perfection! It’s so tender and flavorful plus it’s evenly cooked throughout – a perfect medium rare pink from edge to edge (I use a thermometer). My steak-lovin’ husband & I couldn’t be happier! Also, I’ve tried both thyme and rosemary and each is delicious.

Thank you so very much Shannon! That really makes me so happy to hear you both love it!

• Kirin says:

All I can say is OMG!!!! I live in an apartment complex and can’t have a grill. I refuse to eat steak cooked any other way. I decided to give this a shot, as I am dying for a good steak. I really didn’t have high hopes for this but since I have a cast iron pan I’ve never used, I figured I’d give it a try. I can once again eat a steak anytime my heart desires. Thank you so much!!! I only seasoned with some Montreal seasoning from Grill Mates that I had on hand and the butter. PERFECT!

Thank you so very much Kirin! And I’m so happy that you now can have ‘grilled’ steaks anytime! This so made my day!

• Veronica says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve been using it for the past 1 year. It’s my go to steak recipe, perfection every time!!!

• Amanda says:

Hello!! I just made & gobbled down this steak!! Omg!! It was fabulous!! I live to grill, however I can’t grill in the middle of a snow storm like the one we’re having in Denver as I type. I’ve never been a fan of baked steak as it’s always dry & tough. This recipe however was a god send & exactalky what I needed!! The flavor was amazing & my steak was soft, juicy, & cooked to perfection based in the “doneness” directions. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

That’s awesome Amanda! Thank you so much! That means so much to me! Mr. Fantabulous wanted steaks again tonight so we literally just got done eating them too.

• Dr. V says:

Awesome! Thank you!

• Tony says:

Hey all! So first off I wasn’t sure how to post a reply so I replied to the first comment I saw. All that said let me explain a thing or two. I’m a grill guy, nothing better than a man with his fire creating a lovely dish. That said, I’m recently single and the idea of going out to start the grill in the old to get it up to temp hasn’t been all that tempting for me lately. So I decided to try this way of cooking after reading all the reviews.

I tried to do everything as follows the first go around even though I knew some things were not to my liking. Specifically the Montreal seasoning, there are distinct people in the world. Those who love the taste of steak and those who love the taste of seasoning. Now I think Montreal seasoning is very tasty, just not for me when it comes to good cuts of steak. None the less I tried as the list said just to see if it would be different cooked this way.

Ok now to the findings…

It does create smoke when searing the steak, but if you have a good ventilation system you won’t notice. I for one have a horrible ventilation system and it showed. Not specific to this but even cooking bacon it stays in the house the entire day… (not a bad thing for me. :)as I love bacon). So if the smoke is too much it’s not the because of how the list tells to cook the steak it’s your ventilation system.

I tried one steak the first go around just as the instruction said. My steak was probably closer to and 1-1quarter and not butcher grade. Was a steak I picked up from food lion. So I went through the list as said even bringing my steak up to room temp. Seasoned and seared just like instructed. I love a thermometer and would suggest anyone have it as part of your kitchen utensils. I seared the one side on medium high and then flipped over to add the butter. I then stuck the thermometer in the steak before placing it in the over. I noticed right away it was close to my temp for medium rare but stuck it in the oven anyway. Let it sit for about 2 minutes and saw the temp going way up so I took it out to rest on a cold plate (my choice because I wanted to stall the cooking).

Now to eat… First off it was over cooked for my liking but still very moist and I could see the benefit of searing the steak. Usually on a grill, if you cook an overcooked steak its terrible, this was very moist. I didn’t like the Montreal seasoning, it was way too over powering but then again I like the taste of steak. If someone wasn’t as picky as me I’m sure they would have loved it.

Now second time around I followed the recipe as instructed but this time substituted the Montreal seasoning for the basic three.. garlic powder, pepper, and salt. I cut my sear time by a minute to 3 minutes because obviously beside from my terrible ventilation my stove tends to go on the hotter side. Flipped the steak and added the butter, put the thermometer in the steak and put in the over. When I put the thermometer it was right around degrees. In not time it hit 140 (like less than a minute) and I pulled out and plated as quick as I could. 140 is still higher than I like for medium rare but the temp moved quicker than I thought. After letting rest for 5 minutes I dug in to that bad boy. FIrst I will say it was still slightly more done than I hoped for. BUT you would never have known it with all the moisture in the steak and the juice in the plate.

So in closing I will say this is by far the best steak I’ve ever had that I didn’t cook on the grill… and yes that means any other place. I will use this again during the winter and adjust to my stove to get the correct temp that I like. I will tell you all that you will never overcook a steak that taste this good. So if you are worried about how well you can make a steak, try this. If you follow the list you cant go wrong. If it doesn’t come out right it’s probably your stove and continue to work to reflect what you have.

So if I could add anything I would say be careful with the Montreal seasoning with people who love the taste of steak, it can be very overpowering. Also, know your stove. The searing can almost cook the entire thing if you aren’t careful and the time in the oven is what you need to make it tender. Play around with the temp and create some awesome steaks in the winter.

Thank you!

Hi Tony!

First, I LOVE your thorough response. Thank you! I agree with you on your points – if you’re a true steak lover meaning you want the true taste of the meat shine through, stick with the basics – salt and pepper (garlic if you want). That allows the true steak-ness shine through. Curious when you used the montreal seasoning, did you make your own as I have instructed above or did you buy the pre-made stuff? I find the pre-made stuff way too over powering that’s why I made my own.

And I agree, you need a good vent and an oven/stove that is true to temp. You mentioned that you have a thermometer, have you tested the actual internal temp of your oven to what it’s reading on the panel/dial. That happened to me a few times and a quick $6 part swap was all I needed to get the temp to read what was actually the right temp.
      I’m jealous you’re a grill guy. If you read the blog post itself, this recipe stemmed from my not having a grill (and the 9-year long epic fight with Mr. Fantabulous about getting one) and the fact that I SUCK at grill skills. I can’t hone my skills if I don’t have one.

Lastly, bacon is love. I heart bacon too!

Again thanks and Best Kitchen Wishes!

• Carl Ward says:

I am about to attempt your recipe on a gas weber grill. I am in Alaska. About 20 degrees outside. I have a large cast iron skillet. I think you recipe will stop the flare up I get when I put a steak directly on the grill. Thoughts?
    I am also going to cook your russet & sweet potatoes directly on the grill.

Hi Carl!

Oh that’s a tough question as I am sooooooo not the grill master (that’s why I came up with this method). But if I put on my engineering hat I’m thinking if you preheat your grill and cast iron pan to temp. With the pan on the grill, add your steak and sear (leave the lid open). When you flip, add your butter, thyme (per the instructions) and then close your lid. I’d say then cook it per your desired doneness (refer to the notes for times).

Let me know how that works out for you, k?

And YUM for the taters on the grill!

Best Kitchen Wishes (and bundle up while you’re cooking your steaks outside!)

• Tony says:

Hi Carl,

I just added a post on her and happened to see yours towards the end. I’m what I consider a grill master (at least I like to think so) so I’m curious what you are putting on the steak to cause the flare up. I cook on charcoal and gas and typically when it comes to steak the occasional flare is a good thing. I’ve never been in a situation when the flare up has been too much for me to handle. I’ve had that with burgers but never with steak, usually on the grill I try to put on high heat to sear and then move over to an indirect heat to get the temp I want. With the method she poses for indoor cooking it’s similar. You want to create a sear on both side without overcooking the steak, so typically on the grill you want to sear on high and then move over to an indirect heat perhaps the other side of the grill without flames to bring to temp.

Great suggestions Tony, thank you!

I love hearing a grill master’s tips and tricks 🙂

• Jackson says:

I have never cooked steak before…..so tonight we tried your recipe as closely as I understood it, and everyone was quite happy with the result – no leftovers. There’s room for improvement with some practice – so here’s to more delicious steaks!!! Seemed our oven time needed to be longer by almost 7 minutes (took them out at 7 min, then went on to a total of 14 minutes in the oven – I covered them with folio? – maybe the oven?), but the steaks were moist and tender. Many thanks!!

Hi Jackson!

When you said you covered them with foil, did you cover them with foil in the oven or when they came out of the oven? In the recipe there is no foil used; there’s no need for it. Using foil in the oven (like if you covered it) would almost steam the steak – you won’t want that. You can also test the actual temperature of your oven with an oven-safe thermometer to make sure if the temp says 400 on your oven that the internal temp is actually 400.

I’m happy though you loved it!

• Ed says:

I just tried this recipe last night and the results were two perfect NY strip steaks! I used a well-seasoned cast iron pan, which I believe is the best pan for the job. Although, we also have a Le Creuset grill pan (with raised ribs inside the pan) which would work equally well.

The real bonus is all of that goodness left in the skillet after you remove the steaks! While the steaks were resting for 5 minutes on warmed plates, I placed the skillet back on the burner, poured in a little beef broth, chopped onion and mushrooms to de-glaze the pan. Amazing!

Thank you for this perfect steak recipe!

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much! I’m so happy to hear you loved your steaks and OMG you’re so right about that pan ‘goodness’! I deglaze mine with stock, shallots, garlic and mushrooms too. YUM!

• C. Brown says:

I don’t have any non-nonstick pans. So I tried cooking the 1″ steaks by transferring to a broiler pan (heated for at least 13-15 minutes in the 400* oven). I’m not sure whether it was my making the mistake of cooking the steaks on high for 4 minutes or transferring them to the broiler, but most of the steak (except maybe the middle) were quite tough. [In hindsight, I definitely wouldn’t recommend a broiler pan, anyway, as the fat all drains – and it probably should have stayed close to the steak.] They did have a fair amount of gristle on them, but the edges (not as thick as the middle for the most part). In any case, they were also not that brown on the bottom nor did they have as much flavor as I would have expected (again, probably ’cause flavors drained into the broiler pan bottom).

So, I can’t rate the recipe, ’cause I didn’t follow it. But I don’t recommend that anyone try this recipe without a nonstick pan. Nonetheless, if someone is able to make it work with a nonstick pan on the stove and either a nonstick pan that withstands temperatures up to 400* or in some other pan, I’d love to see it.

Hi! So no non-stick pans. What about a cast iron perhaps? The broiler pan wouldn’t work on these steaks as they would dry out the steaks making them tough as well as flavorless. Just like you said, the fat drains out. I’m curious, you said you cooked them on high for 4 minutes – what type of pan did you cook them in initially before you transferred them to the broiler pan?

As for other pans, cast iron or stainless are pretty much the only pans that will work and give you that proper sear. From an engineering standpoint you’ll never be able to get the same effect from the non-stick plus you risk ruining the coating of the non-stick.

• C. Brown says:

I used a nonstick pan to cook the steaks on high. A bit charred, but not too bad.

But in February this year, you actually recommended using a broiler pan, which I did. (Search for “broiler” and you’ll find it fast.

I just can’t justify buying yet another pan when I just go this nice nonstick set. Especially when I would almost never use it. So if I can’t get it to work with the nonstick then some other pan in the oven, I’ll have to try something else (like panbroil, for example).

Ah you’re right. I don’t think I clarified myself enough with that (and will update that in a minute). When you broil a steak, there is no need to pan sear it first. You’ll still need a non-stick or cast iron pan unless your broiler pan has ridges versus holes.

While you preheat your broiler, you need to get your non-stick or cast iron pan screaming hot. Once the broiler and pan are hot, place the steak in the pan and place the pan in the oven under the broiler. Broil for about 4 minutes then flip (while still in the pan), broil for another 3-5 minutes per your liking.

Now if you want to use just the broiler pan you need to preheat your broiler. Line your broiler pan with foil and make a few slits. Once heated you then place the uncooked steaks on the pan and broil for a few minutes (you really only want to flip once). Check the steak after 3-5 minutes for a sear. Again you do not pan sear your steaks prior to using a broiler pan.

Let me know if this helps.

• Ann says:

Followed to the letter. After 7 minutes in the oven I had a very very well done steak. It was a sad night.

• Jehoram says:

How thick was the steak? The full time listed is for 1″ thick.

Ann

I’m sorry that yours didn’t turn out. Just to clarify, the steaks you cooked with were between 1″ – 1 1/2″ inches thick correct? And you had the oven to 400F? Also, as this has happened to me more often than I can count, have you tested the thermostat in your oven lately; i.e., that when you set it to 400f it actually reads at 400 and not say 450? I ask as that did happen to me.

• TS says:

Best recipe ever! I have this recipe bookmarked on my tablet for easy access. Used to buy $$$ tenderloins to get tender steaks…now I don’t have to. Have also used this recipe on other cuts, like Tri-Tip steaks, with great success. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

Thank you so much TS! That really means the world to me! I LOVE Tri-Tip steaks!

• Brian Caffrey says:

Love my fat, so I bought 1.5″ thick butcher shop steaks wit the fat still attached. I altered the cast iron time to 1 min on it’s side to render then tip over for the remaining 4. Had to do the full 7 min in oven, but my wife says I have out done all her attempts. May not be add healthy this way, but was melt in the mouth. Do you have standard cook tunes for .5″ or .75″?

OMG that sounds HEAVENLY Brian! Bravo to you for sure!

1″ thick steak roughly
      very Rare 3-4 minutes
      Rare 4-5 minutes
      Medium Rare 5-7 minutes
      Medium 6-8 minutes
      Well done Not Recommended

For thinner steaks I would only reduce by 1-2 minutes in the oven. The thinner the steak the faster they will sear on the burner thus the less time they need in the oven. Make sense?

Here’s another trick to try that works really well when you’re not sure on the times if your steaks are thicker/thinner then the recipe:

Raw: To get a good indicator of what raw meat feels like, open the palm of your hand and relax it. Take the index finger of your other hand and push on the fleshy area between your thumb and base of your palm.
      Medium Rare: Gently press the tip of your middle finger to the tip of your thumb. The fleshy area below your thumb will be what it feels like when meat is Medium-Rare, which is more firm and less giving, but still spongy.
      Rare: Press the tip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb. The fleshy area below your thumb should not be tough at all and should give when touched. Now, open up your palm again to compare how this compares to the Raw feeling.
      Medium: Gently press the tip of your ring finger and the tip of your thumb together. The fleshy area beneath your thumb should still give a little but be getting more firm.
      Well Done: Gently press the tip of your pinky finger to the tip of your thumb. The fleshy area beneath your thumb should feel pretty firm, yet springy.

• Chonda says:

This is an amazing steak recipe! I purchased my meat a few days ago and refused to cook it until I found this recipe again!!! Thanks for sharing…

Thank you so much Chonda!

Make sure to subscribe to the site that way you never lose a single recipe of mine!

• Kelly says:

Going to try this tonight. Loved reading your comments and your enthusiasm for all things food.

Thank you Kelly! For me food is love – it’s so much more than just filling my belly. Food brings smiles, warmth and comfort. We could sit at a table with a simple plate of crackers and cheese and have conversations that could last a lifetime.

• nikolai says:

have been cooking skillet steaks for years with varying degree of success till i tried yours. it was awesome. will use your method every time.

• Gabe Steiger says:

I made this recipe again, but this time I was able to add thyme. Without it, it is still delicious, but I was amazed that the thyme made it EVEN better! I cooked three rib-eyes for my birthday (I love to cook too, and I insisted. It was by choice that I cooked my own birthday dinner.) All I got was raves! I told all involved about your website, and as a full time student, who works at a grocery store, I have told at least 20 people about your website as well! I am so glad I was able to find such a wonderful wealth of information. I will donate to you when my finances allow. Your hard-work and dedication are so evident! I admire your passion! Thank you again for a fool-proof method of cooking steak inside! Love, love, love!
    -Gabe

OMG Gabe, first off how in the world did I miss your comment? I’m sorry about that. Second, thank you so very, VERY much! You just put the biggest smile on my face! And happy belated birthday to you as well! Your feed really touched my heart and honestly it means the world to me so thank you.

That’s awesome about going to school and working like you do! I could never work in a grocery store – all I’d do is say “Did you know that you can use this with this and make that?” to folks as they checked out. LOL

• Cheryl b says:

OMG! Got our steak at Earth Fare, and seldom cook red meat, esp inside. I followed to the letter, although didn’t have Montreal seasoning.I don’t usually follow recipes to the letter, either. But, based on the comments, I thought I would do so, and was so glad I did.I used Weber Hamburger seasoning, and dried thyme since my garden is dormant still. All I can say is, “Wow”!!! My husband was absolutely in heaven, and I was so pleased with the results. I will make again on the rare (no pun intended) occasions we eat red meat. Awesome!! Truly restaurant quality, indeed! :):)

• Eryn says:

Hi there –

I thought I’d join the masses and sincerely thank you for this recipe. I am 30 years old, and until today every single steak I’ve ever cooked has been a tough, leathery mess. No joke… every single one. Until today. I really can’t thank you enough. My husband looked at me like I’d been taken over by an alien. Ha!

Seriously though… this one is going in the books. 🙂

Hi Eryn!

Thank you so very, very much! You so put the biggest smile on my face! Until I came up with this recipe I made my fair share of shoe-leather steaks that even the poor dog wouldn’t eat. Now, we won’t eat steak out at a restaurant – why bother when I can make the best ones at home!