Crock Pot Eye of Round with Mushroom & Onion Gravy

These past few weeks it’s been hot; high 80’s but with 473% humidity.  Love Pittsburgh but man this weather is just foul!  So needless to say, turning on the oven was not an option.  However on the way home from work on a Friday I bought the most gorgeous Eye of Round roast.  I mean it was beautiful – that is, beautiful as far as raw meat goes.  LOL

When I got up Saturday around 8am and saw the outside thermometer was already pushing 75F, oven cooking was not happening in my house. Thus I turned to my best friend in the kitchen… my awesome crockpot (well one of the 9 that I have).  Yes, I have 9 of ’em.. don’t judge me. *bats her baby blues*

Since I wanted to have a great gravy with it and for me gravy has to be thick otherwise it’s just dipping au jus.  So I dredged that baby in some seasoned flour and pan seared all sides until they were all caramel brown.  Next I plopped this caramel beauty into the crock, added the rest of the stuff and went about my day.  8 hours later the smell coming from my kitchen was just intoxicating.  I mean you wouldn’t need a dinner bell for this!  Just taking the lid off and they will come!

Folks what came out of that crockpot was pure heaven!  Typically the eye of round is a tough piece of meat due it being so lean.  However this was anything but tough.  No knife needed.  Just you, a plate and a fork.

Eye of Round9

Take a moment and drool. It’s okay, I’ll wait.

THIS was the BEST roast I have ever, EVER had in my life.  I mean EVER!

Eye of Round1

Remember me telling you how I pan seared the sides before putting it in the crock?  LOOK how awesome this came out after cooking for 8 hours!  Still retained that gorgeous color and flavor!

This sliced up beautifully! It didn’t fall apart like a normal roast does when you cook it in the crock pot.  This kept it’s form but was oh-so-tender!

Eye of Round10

And the gravy..

Oh dear sweet Jesus that gravy!

Hands down BEST gravy I have ever made and tasted!

Seriously.. absolute BEST!

Eye of Round8

Literally my mouth is watering right now staring at these pictures as ‘flavor flashbacks’ are hitting me hard and I want this NOW!

Eye of Round3

dear GOD this was so good!

Eye of Round7

yep… still drooling!

Eye of Round6

5.0 from 11 reviews
Crock Pot Eye of Round with Mushroom & Onion Gravy
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
  • 1 - 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups sliced mushrooms
  • 2 Tbl corn starch
  • 3 Tbl milk
  1. In a bowl combine the mushroom soup with beef broth,minced onion, beef bouillon, onion powder, crushed celery seed, sugar, fresh garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
  2. Mix until combined and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl mix together flour with salt and black pepper.
  4. Dredge the roast in the flour/black pepper mixture.
  5. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil
  6. When the oil begins to ripple, carefully add in the roast and pan sear about 5-6 minutes per side, or until all sides are caramel colored.
  7. Transfer the roast to the slow cooker, top with mushrooms and slowly pour the soup mixture over top.
  8. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until the roast is tender.
  9. Remove the roast from the crock pot and place on a plate.
  10. Transfer the sauce from the crockpot into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
  11. In a small container mix together the milk and cornstarch to make a slurry.
  12. Once the mixture starts to boil, pour in the slurry and whisk until thickened.
  13. Remove from heat and ladle over sliced eye of round.

More deliciousness awaits...:

21 Responses to “Crock Pot Eye of Round with Mushroom & Onion Gravy”

• Deb says:

Ohmygoodness! Ohmygoodness! The gravy!

• Jada says:

TKW this was amazing in every sense of the word! This was one of the best meals I’ve ever made! This recipe was repinned on my facebook wall to which my friend said “Jada, you have to make this! This is the best dish ever!” She was so right! I so hooked on your recipes right now and can’t wait to make more!

And that gravy! Phenomenal is all I can say!

Living in Texas we live by crock pot cooking due to the extreme heat! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Well thank you so very much Jada! I honestly fell in love with this recipe. And that gravy… dear lord that gravy! :)

• Jen says:

This was SOOOO Good! We had a bunch of extra gravy — and there was NO way I was going to let it go to waste … I ended up making some swedish-style meatballs and buttered noodles with the extra. Yum! Thanks for sharing this!

Hi Jen!

Thank you so much! I love this recipe as well! Mr. Fantabulous isn’t so much a roast type of guy but he requests this dish frequently as he absolutely loves it!

Oh I love the idea of using the gravy for Swedish type meatballs! Bravo!

• Cindy says:

From one Pittsburgher to another…this was delicious. I will never make an Eye of Round Roast in any other way. Even my husband loved it, even though he usually hates anything made in a crock pot. My roast came out looking just like your photos and tastes wonderful. Thanks for a great recipe.

That’s awesome Cindy! Yeah this is the only way I will make an eye of round roast as well. I find it’s the secret to taking a not-so-tender piece of meat and transforming it into something truly amazing. So happy your hubby loved it too!

And rock on ‘Burgh girl! Love to hear from my fellow Pittsburghers! :)

• Violet says:

Hi I dont have dried onion, celery seed or worchestire sauce. Anything else that I can substitute?

You can use fresh minced onions and celery. Unfortunately there is no substitute for the worchestire sauce. Just omit it but put it on your shopping list.

• Darlene says:

Can you put fresh carrots and celery in the crockpot with the roast or is it better to do the vegetables separately?

• Sheila says:

I am going to be making this tomorrow for my fiance’s birthday dinner. I am loving all the rave reviews and yes it does look delicious!!

I have one question on the mushroom slices….Fresh mushrooms ok to use or should I buy the jar kind as I didn’t see anything specific mentioned in the recipe?

Looking forward to making this and YES… I was drooling with every picture and every part of the recipe! Can’t wait!!

Hi Sheila!

Well happy early birthday to your very lucky fiance! I never ever used canned/jarred mushrooms. They gag me. Use fresh; always fresh anything unless it’s denoted not to. And honestly that would only ever apply to spices. If you used the jarred ones they would literally just disintegrate.

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the recipe!

• Billy says:

Looks delicious! I’m going attempt this recipe tomorrow. Should I trim all of the fat from the roast prior to cooking or after?

• Diane says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe! How many adults will it feed?

Well that depends… do you have an eater like Mr. Fantabulous? *wink* If so, then 1 adult. LOL Seriously a 3lb roast will feed 4 adults with some sides.