These past few weeks it’s been hot; high 80’s but with 473% humidity. Love Pittsburgh but man this weather is just foul! So needless to say, turning on the oven was not an option. However on the way home from work on a Friday I bought the most gorgeous Eye of Round roast. I mean it was beautiful – that is, beautiful as far as raw meat goes. LOL
When I got up Saturday around 8am and saw the outside thermometer was already pushing 75F, oven cooking was not happening in my house. Thus I turned to my best friend in the kitchen… my awesome crockpot (well one of the 9 that I have). Yes, I have 9 of ‘em.. don’t judge me. *bats her baby blues*
Since I wanted to have a great gravy with it and for me gravy has to be thick otherwise it’s just dipping au jus. So I dredged that baby in some seasoned flour and pan seared all sides until they were all caramel brown. Next I plopped this caramel beauty into the crock, added the rest of the stuff and went about my day. 8 hours later the smell coming from my kitchen was just intoxicating. I mean you wouldn’t need a dinner bell for this! Just taking the lid off and they will come!
Folks what came out of that crockpot was pure heaven! Typically the eye of round is a tough piece of meat due it being so lean. However this was anything but tough. No knife needed. Just you, a plate and a fork.
Take a moment and drool. It’s okay, I’ll wait.
THIS was the BEST roast I have ever, EVER had in my life. I mean EVER!
Remember me telling you how I pan seared the sides before putting it in the crock? LOOK how awesome this came out after cooking for 8 hours! Still retained that gorgeous color and flavor!
This sliced up beautifully! It didn’t fall apart like a normal roast does when you cook it in the crock pot. This kept it’s form but was oh-so-tender!
And the gravy..
Oh dear sweet Jesus that gravy!
Hands down BEST gravy I have ever made and tasted!
Seriously.. absolute BEST!
Literally my mouth is watering right now staring at these pictures as ‘flavor flashbacks’ are hitting me hard and I want this NOW!
dear GOD this was so good!
yep… still drooling!
- 1 - 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 - 10 oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1/8 cup beef bouillon powder
- 1 1/16 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp crushed celery seed
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbl fresh minced garlic
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 3lb Eye of Round Roast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbl corn starch
- 3 Tbl milk
- In a bowl combine the mushroom soup with beef broth,minced onion, beef bouillon, onion powder, crushed celery seed, sugar, fresh garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix until combined and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together flour with salt and black pepper.
- Dredge the roast in the flour/black pepper mixture.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil
- When the oil begins to ripple, carefully add in the roast and pan sear about 5-6 minutes per side, or until all sides are caramel colored.
- Transfer the roast to the slow cooker, top with mushrooms and slowly pour the soup mixture over top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until the roast is tender.
- Remove the roast from the crock pot and place on a plate.
- Transfer the sauce from the crockpot into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a small container mix together the milk and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, pour in the slurry and whisk until thickened.
- Remove from heat and ladle over sliced eye of round.