You know I honestly think Turkey has replaced the “All-American” burger …. at least for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love a juicy grilled beef burger however most of the time it doesn’t like me 🙁 A few years back I switched to ground turkey and have truly found a deep love for it. Funny thing is I’m not really a big fan of Thanksgiving Turkey. *shrugs* I’ll eat it but I can give or take it.
Well yesterday if you recall I made that Pineapple Chunk Teriyaki Sauce which seriously I cannot wait to make chicken with it. It’s THAT good! Since I had ground turkey in the fridge I decided to make grilled turkey burgers however this time I decided to add a twist to it. See normally my go-to turkey burger recipe involves melted cheese and a slice of avocado with my killer Montreal steak seasoning but this time I wanted pineapple with it. See I have this undeniable love of grilled fruits. And to me, grilled pineapple is just shear heaven! Now see I knew I wanted to put grilled pineapple slices on the burger but I wanted the burger to have that teriyaki taste with it. Sooooooooooooo…. decided to mix some of that pineapple chunk teriyaki sauce into the burger mix.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 Tbl Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup + 4 Tbl Pineapple Chunk Teriyaki Sauce (warmed)
- 2 Tbl unseasoned bread crumbs
- 4 pineapple rings
- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil (only if using a non-coated pan)
- 4 slices smoked Colby jack
- 4 slices red onion
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 4 burger buns
- Mix the turkey, seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce and bread crumbs in a bowl.
- Form into 4 – 1/4lb patties indenting with your thumb in the middle.
- Let sit at room temperature (about 15 minutes).
- Heat a grill pan to medium high and add the oil.
- Add the patties and cook for 5- 6 minutes on one side or until golden brown.
- Flip the patties and cook for 5-6 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165F.
- While they are cooking, add the pineapple rings and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add the cheese to the patties and cover with a lid for a minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut the bun in half and add ¼ cup fresh spinach leaves on the bottom.
- Top with red onions then 1 Tbl of warmed Teriyaki sauce.
- Add the burger and top with pineapple ring.
- *Note: If you want, this can make 6-8 sliders if you wanted a smaller portion.