Did you ever go through spurts where you’re on a total food kick with 1 specific ingredient? Well that was me for the longest time when it came to avocados. It’s one of those foods that I never tire of and even though there are times when I think I’m over it, someone will mention something with avocado on/in it and I instantly crave it. Kind of like right now, as I’m writing this post I’m so craving avocado. Just give me a fresh avocado, a knife and some sea salt. I’m set!
Well during my obsession phase I wanted to make something savory with it having that be the focus of the meal. One night I was rummaging through the fridge knowing I HAD to have an avocado again for dinner. When I saw the container of the Mexican Shredded Beef, I knew I had a winner waiting to be created! My only concern was how to make it. Yeah I could have left it in the shell but when I have that beef there is a crunch factor either say with nacho chips, tacos or even crispy burritos. Since I had none of those 3 on hand I had to go digging again in unknown territory of my fridge. OH OH OH!! Egg Roll Wrappers!!! Thinking back on how I made my baked crab rangoons, I knew this would give me the crunch factor without all of the calories traditional chips/tacos did.
Now if you don’t have the beef on hand, you’ll need to plan for this a day in advance only because the beef takes a while to make in the crock pot. If you didn’t like beef, you could easily use my Spicy White Chicken Chili Pulled Chicken
These are super easy to make and over-the-top-insanely-good!Print
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Using a large muffin tin pan (think Texas muffin pan), invert it and lightly coat 4 of the tins with cooking spray.
- Take each egg roll wrapper and lay it over one of the inverted wells and gently shape around the well. Try not to have the edges of the wrappers touching each other.
- Lightly spray the wrapper with cooking spray and bake for 5-7 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown.
- While the wrappers are cooking, remove the avocados from the shell so you’re left with 4 whole (halves).
- If the center where the pit was isn’t small take a spoon and carefully scoop some of the flesh out to make the well deeper. Be careful as you do not want to have the sides or bottom too thin.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven and place the egg roll wrappers (that now look like a cup), on cookie sheet facing upwards.
- Place one half of the avocado in the well of the egg roll wrapper.
- Place 1/2 cup of the warmed beef in the well. If the well of the avocado is larger, add more. You want to mound it up by about an 1”.
- Top the beef with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar.
- Return to the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, transfer the egg roll crispy cups to a plate, garnish with cilantro and sour cream.