So I’m one that doesn’t really believe in ‘food’ boundaries. I am one to push the limit if you will. I guess the latest buzz word is ‘Fusion Cooking’. I suppose that’s true but I’ve been doing this for years only we just called it pot luck. Where you have a little bit of everything – kind of like Thursday night dinners which were comprised of leftovers from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Only instead of having it as all small dishes, I wanted to incorporate these ‘leftovers’ into a new dish; a “fusion” dish.
Remember my going nuts over my Gluten Free Crispy Chicken Strips? Well I wanted to push my limits and see what else I could do with them other than dipping them in ranch or honey mustard.
I have a strong feeling that once you get over the “OMG she mixed Mexican and Italian” shock, you will fall in LOVE with this dish! I know I did!
Yeah, I went there! I blasted through those food boundaries and mixed Mexican with Italian. These Chicken Parmesan Burritos are truly amazing. That outer crispy tortilla shell laden with Italian Marinara, melted cheesy only to stuffed with Crispy Chicken Strips, some Italian Seasoning, more marinara and even more cheese. This truly was amazing. I mean for me that crispy shell just pushed this dish over the edge from awesome to AWESOMETASTIC!
Seriously this was fantastic! Like to the point that I had this 3 days in a row for lunch fantastic. And you all know how I almost never do leftovers.
It’s funny as when this was done (I only ever make 1 when creating a new recipe as to now waste ingredients in case it sucks) Mr. Fantabulous spied it and gave a “Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! Whassssssss that and can I try it?” Now you know me, I deny that man nothing so I responded with a “Honey, let me try it first in case it’s horrible. It’s a test recipe.” I mean I want to be a good wife and would never want him to taste something bad right?
So I cut it in half…. Wait, just take a minute to stare at the ooey gooey melty cheese, the crispy outer shell and that to-die-for chicken smothered in marinara sauce…
Go on, I’ll wait for you…
I know, right?! *yes I read your mind and yes that does look scrumptious* LOL
Anyway… so I cut this in half (well sorta) and I try a bite only I keep a poker face. One is I tend to ‘think’ while I eat as I concentrate on the different flavors and the way the ingredients marry together. The other was I was in LOVE with this dish (yes even after one bite) and was having a huge subconscious battle as I didn’t want to share it but my Mom raised me to share… even with smelly boys. LOL
Needless to say I ended up making another one of these as he who shall remain nameless inhaled mine!Print
- 12 Crispy Chicken Strips, warmed
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce, warmed
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 10” flour tortillas, warmed
- Preheat broiler and place rack on upper third in the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray.
- Mix together the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- In the lower third of the tortilla add in the 3 chicken strips – 2 on the bottom and 1 on top.
- Place 1/4 cup of marinara on top of the chicken.
- Top with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture.
- Taking the edge of the tortilla closest to you, fold it up and over the chicken tucking it under the meat.
- Take one hand and fold in one side of the tortilla and then repeat to the other.
- Tightly roll the tortilla, seam side down.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes or until the tortilla is golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Using tongs, gently flip the tortillas broiling an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Flip again, ladle 1/4 cup sauce on top of each and evenly divide the remaining cheese on top.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes just until the cheese is melted and bubbly.