If you love shrimp and burgers then this is the recipe for you! The absolute BEST Shrimp burger topped with creamy avocado dressing that perfect any night of the week!
So the other day I was cleaning out my freezer trying to figure out why I had no room in it. I found pecan pies, 10 pounds of butter, enough bacon to make a pig farmer proud, and a bag of jumbo fresh shrimp. Now since I had been craving shrimp lately this was perfect. I checked the purchase date (WOO HOO.. just bought them 2 weeks ago!) and let them thaw out in the fridge that day.
Since I’ve made seafood burgers before (Tilapia Burgers with a Spicy Jalapeno Slaw) I knew how I wanted to make these.
My toughest call was to figure out how I wanted to top these. Typically burgers use ketchup, mustard and *gag* mayo but not on seafood. I could have done a slaw or chutney but been there, done that. I wanted something totally unexpected.
As I rummaged through my fridge and found my go-to ‘condiment’ – avocados! Yes, I’ll admit it, I *might* have a slight avocado addiction. They are “nature’s butter” after all.
What I made with that gorgeous green beauty was pure magic! The avocado aioli was probably one of the top 5 best ‘toppings’ I have ever made or ate!
Are you ready for this?
No… are you ready for this?!
I know, right! I mean seriously. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR, right!
Just look at the chunks of shrimp, that amazing avocado aioli, and those onion brioche buns!
Seriously I literally wanted to hoard this recipe and keep it all for myself. But I can’t be that way. But know this, when I open up my bistro, these will be offered! They are just too amazing not to sell!
Freezing Raw Burgers
These burger patties freeze beautifully for up to 1 month. Simply assemble the mixture, form it into burgers, chill for at least an hour in the fridge for them to firm up, and then store in an air-tight freezer container.
To cook, simply remove from the freezer, place in the pan, and cook.
Reheating Cooked Shrimp Burgers
I am so not a fan of reheating any seafood in the microwave. Instead:
- Turn on the oven to 350F and wrap each cooked burger in some foil (feel free to drizzle with a little oil or a teaspoon of butter).
- Place on a baking sheet and reheat for about 10-15 minutes just until warmed through.
Chunky Shrimp Burgers with Avocado Aioli sauce
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 1.5 hours
- Category: burger
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: American
If you love shrimp and burgers then this is the recipe for you! The absolute BEST Shrimp burger topped with creamy avocado dressing that perfect any night of the week
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 xl egg
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/2 cup Panko or Gluten-Free Panko
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup red pepper, chopped small
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled (save the pit!)
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Scoop the avocado pulp into the bowl of a food processor. Add the sour cream, lime juice, garlic cloves, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth. Check and adjust seasoning.
- Place in a dish, add the pit (this helps prevent it from turning brown), cover, and chill for an hour.
- Divide the shrimp in half. Coarsely chop one half and set aside. Put the remaining half in a food processor and grind to a coarse puree. Add egg, shallot, cilantro, jalapeno, and garlic to the processor. Process until smooth. Sprinkle mixture with breadcrumbs and process again. Transfer contents of the food processor to a large bowl. Add coarsely chopped shrimp and red pepper. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix well. Form burgers and chill for 1 hour (covered).
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet. When very hot, fry the shrimp burgers until golden, about 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve plain, in a lettuce wrap or on an Onion Brioche Bun.
Keywords: shrimp burgers, shrimp patties, lent burgers, avocado aioli, avocado sauce, keto burgers, high protein burgers
Recipe Reviews & Comments
Loved this recipe!!!!!!
WOO HOO! Thank you so much!!! So happy you loved it!
Best Kitchen Wishes!