This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission®. All opinions are entirely my own.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo deliciously with these Chicken Barbacoa Soft Tacos! These Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas filled with Mexican spiced shredded chicken, crumbled Cotija, shaved radishes, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, and lime crema are certain to become a family favorite!
One of the best things about being a chef and food blogger is being exposed to many cultures and cuisines. Having traveled throughout various cities in Mexico I’ve had some amazing experiences, met some incredible people and learned so much more about the local culture. For example, take Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) most folks here assume that it is Mexican Independence Day but that’s not an accurate assumption. It’s actually the day they celebrate the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. Cinco de Mayo is sometimes considered as a turning point in the U.S. Civil War. Yearly celebrations are maintained to help celebrate Mexican identity and build solidarity.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Mission Tortillas and Mission Tortilla Chips are essential components to your Cinco de Mayo celebrations and get-togethers. Make your own fiesta celebration with these amazing Chicken Barbacoa Soft Tacos, some awesome music, family, and friends. All that’s missing is a piñata…or is it? I mean what says Cinco more than breaking a piñata? From 04/01/19 until 05/05/19, you can enter and play the Mission Piñata Instant Win Game! Take a swing at the Mission piñata and see if you have what it takes to break it. The best part? If you break it, you win a prize! Play every day for more chances to win!
If you know me, I’m all about a party and celebration. I mean I’m the person that actually celebrates National <insert food item> Day every day. So, when the amazing folks from Mission asked me to create something amazing to help celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I knew exactly what I wanted to make! I am a HUGE lover of barbacoa meats. The first time I had it was actually when I was in Jalisco. It was traditional barbacoa made from goat and it was absolutely incredible! So, when I returned back to the states I had to recreate it. Now I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but goat meat is not something easily found, so I had to go with what was more readily available; chicken, beef and pork..
While the meats may vary, my tortillas never do. I absolutely LOVE Mission Super Soft Flour Tortillas! Seriously they are THE softest flour tortillas I’ve ever had! While they are great straight out of the package, I love them best warmed up by following the instructions on the back of the package. As a chef, it’s Mission is the only brand I trust in my recipes! These tortillas are the perfect size for my Chicken Barbacoa Soft Tacos and they’re also incredibly versatile! I find myself using them every week for a range of recipes because they’re so delicious and wholesome!
While traditional barbacoa is made by slow roasting meats in amazing Mexican spices and liquid, let’s be honest, I don’t have time for that. I work way too much and can’t give it the time it deserves. Thus, enter my pressure cooker. Chicken Barbacoa in the pressure cooker takes 10 minutes under pressure to cook, less than a minute to shred and a few minutes to warm/chop/slice and devour! I think what took me the longest part was getting the ingredients out of the pantry!
When I had these first in Jalisco, they were served just like this – shredded goat, cilantro, shaved radishes, Cotija and crema. Okay they did have crumbled tomatoes on them but I have to be in the mood to eat a raw tomato. I mean I LOVE tomato products but raw tomatoes are something I really have to be in the mood for. Simple, fresh ingredients – that’s all you need to make an amazing barbacoa taco folks.
Now for us, when we have our Cinco de Mayo fiestas (whether it’s for a crowd or just the two of us) I will serve these tacos, extra tomatoes, lime crema (trust me, it’s life-changing!), cilantro on the side (as some folks are haters), a side dish of beans, some sopas, a few cocktails, and always a few bowls of Mission® Strips Tortilla Chips. You guys know me – I’m a chip girl! I love the crunch, the texture, the flavor and the hint of salt. BUT I’m a chip snob. I want simple, honest ingredients and nothing foreign or complicated. That’s why I love Mission Strips Tortilla Chips. They are perfect for dipping and the best part folks, made with four simple ingredients, including sea salt!
So, let’s chat, how are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo? I mean I know you’re obviously going to make these Chicken Barbacoa Soft Tacos served in Mission Super Soft Flour Tortillas, a bowl of Mission Strips Tortilla Chips with maybe some salsa or queso (entertaining tip – serve both!), some libations but what else? My vote is serving some Mexican street corn, guacamole, maybe some tostadas plus some festive lights, a piñata (or two because let’s face it – both kids and adults love them!) and some amazing Mexican music! Heck go all out and hire a Mariachi!
Seriously, one of THE BEST celebrations I’ve ever attended was Cinco de Mayo featuring all of the amazing foods I mentioned, the lights, the colors and a real-live Mariachi! It was absolutely THE BEST EVER! Folks were dancing, singing, laughing and clapping. It truly is festive and fun! Great music, beautiful decorations and amazing food like these Chicken Barbacoa Soft Tacos served in Mission Super Soft Flour Tortillas will make your own Cinco de Mayo celebration fantástico!
- 1 package Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas (8 ct.)
- 2lbs boneless/skinless chicken breasts or mixture of breasts and thighs
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbl tomato paste
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- pinch of cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbl lime juice
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp adobo sauce (more means it’s hotter)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp lime juice (from above)
- 1 tsp lime zest (from above)
- 3/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 radishes, shaved thin
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbl chopped cilantro plus extra for garnish
- Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Transfer to a container, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Make the Barbacoa
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, pepper, salt, lime juice, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, sugar and stock. Blend to combine. To at least a 6qrt pressure cooker, add the chicken, bay leaves and the liquid from the blender. Lock the lid, set the timer for 10 minutes on high. When the timer is done, do a quick release on the pressure.
- Remove the lid and shut off the pressure cooker. Using tongs, take out the chicken pieces placing them either into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or on a plate. If using the mixer, turn it on and mix just until the chicken is shredded (leave some chunks). If doing it by hand, use 2 forks and shred the chicken. Remember you want some bigger pieces.
- With the liquid still in the pressure cooker, remove the bay leaves (discarding them) and place the shredded chicken back into the liquid. Add in the 2 Tbl of cilantro, stir and let it rest in the liquid for a few minutes. Strain the chicken reserving the liquid for rice or another use.
Assemble and Devour!
- In a large, ungreased pan over medium heat add Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas to the pan and cook for 15-30 seconds or until warmed through. Repeat until all are warmed through.
- To the bottom of a warmed tortilla, add some barbacoa chicken, Cotija, lime crema, radish slices, cilantro and chopped tomatoes.
*you will have extra lime crema but this is awesome as a dip with Mission® Strips Tortilla Chips
Keywords: cinco de mayo, chicken barbacoa tacos, lime crema, soft tacos, tortillas, flour tortillas