Homemade flatbread pizza topped with THE BEST Buffalo Chicken mixture, a 3-cheese blend, Green Onions & Ranch Dipping Sauce
Buffalo anything has been around seemingly forever. It started with wings and pretty much took off from there.
I’ve had obviously, buffalo dip, but buffalo fries, buffalo cauliflower, buffalo tots and naturally buffalo pizza.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza isn’t new either. We sold it at our pizzeria decades ago. And if you google it, you’ll find 8 trillion variations of it. So what sets this apart from those?
Honestly – taste, the crust, the 3-cheese blend and that ranch dipping sauce.
Today I’m sharing with you a family favorite and delicious artisan pizza that is perfect for an appetizer, snack, full meal, movie night – you get the idea. Plus this is perfect for when we no longer have to remain 6′ apart from our family and friends! And fyi.. this goes incredibly well with a frosty cold one!
Ingredients Needed For This Buffalo Chicken Flatbread Pizza
This recipe starts with you already have made the pizza dough using my Simple Pizza Dough Recipe. If you haven’t made it or don’t have time, it’s okay to cheat and buy one from a local pizzeria. You want a 300-400 gram dough ball.
From The Fridge
- Cream Cheese- Full fat I found works the best
- Cooked Chicken – I poached up 2 chicken breasts in my instant pot in about 10 minutes.
- Cheese – I use a 3-cheese blend as that helps give you that great melt-factor and marries well with the flavor
- Sour Cream – again, full fat works best here
- Green Onions
- 2 Pizza Dough Ball
From The Pantry
- Buffalo/Hot Sauce
- Buttermilk Ranch Seasoning – FYI… make your own!
- Oil – for the pans
- 2 Flatbread Pans – These are ALL I use. These were featured in my Artisan Pear Pizza.
Get Your Dough in the Pan
Once your pizza dough has performed the first rise, you want to get it set in the flatbread pan.
- Bring the dough to room temperature if it was in the fridge. Add a tsp or two of canola or light oil to flatbread pan and brush it out coating the bottom and the sides. It just needs to lightly coat it
- Place the proofed dough ball onto a lightly floured surface and stretch out into at least a 12″x3-4″ rectangle. It’s OK if you don’t get it stretched the whole way.
- Place the stretched dough onto the plan and gently push/nudge it out towards the edges.
- Cover with a lightly sprayed piece of plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until the dough rises a bit more and stretches out towards the ends. ~30-60 minutes.
Chef’s Tip For Stretching Pizza Dough
- If your dough is cold, bring it to room temperature before trying to stretch.
- If the dough snaps back and you find you’re finding that you’re struggling to stretch it, let it go. Just cover with a lightly sprayed piece of plastic wrap.
Parbake the Pizzas
In this recipe I have you parbake (partially bake) the pizza dough as you want a more firmer crust. Since the toppings are heavy, you need a more solid base.
- Once the dough has rested and risen, remove the plastic wrap and stretch the dough (if needed) towards the edges of the pan.
- Bake the pizzas on the lower third rack on top of a pizza stone for 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and get read to top!
Make The Buffalo Chicken Mixture
To save time, I pressure poached some chicken breasts. You could totally use rotisserie chicken as well. I left mine chunky instead of shredded.
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup each white and yellow cheddar, 1/4 cup mozzarella, ranch, and hot sauce/buffalo sauce until well blended. Stir in the chicken and half of the onion *optional until combined.
Let’s Make Buffalo Chicken Flatbread!
- To each parbaked flatbread, evenly divide the chicken mixture.
- Top with the remaining cheese blend and bake for 5-6 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and the chicken mixture is heated all the way through.
If the cheese oozes down onto your Flatbread pan, like the one I used – that’s AWESOME!
In the pizza business, that’s call Frico. It’s cheese that has caramelized and become crispy. Trust me, this is AMAZING!
- Remove the pizza from the pans.
- I actually use in my LloydPans, a metal fish spatula to get the pizzas out. These pans are INCREDIBLE and meant to have metal used in them.
- Place the pizza on the cutting board and slice it up.
- For pan pizzas I use a Pizza Rocker instead of a wheel. You get better cuts this way.
- Top each slice with a dollop of that Buttermilk Ranch Dipping Sauce if desired (but highly recommended).
- Finish with green onions and serve!
Get ready to DIG IN TO DELICIOUSNESS!!!
This pizza was/is AMAZING!
The crispnes of the crust, that buffalo chicken so tender and cheesy.. seriously, you need to make this!
- Cheese – You can go spicy with adding pepper jack if you wish
- Meats – You can shred your chicken or even use turkey.
- Additions – hello… CRISPY BACON!
- Pizza Crust – If you want it keto-friendly or gluten-free, make my Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust!
Ask the Pizzaiola
- I don’t have that flatbread pan, can I use a rimmed baking pan? Absolutely! I put it all in the notes of the recipe.
- Can I make this as a round pizza? Absolutely but I would not parbake the crust first. I would advise cooking it a few more minutes until done. Again, this will depend on how thick/thinyou make your crust.
- I don’t have a pizza stone, is that an issue? No, but I would say add one to your wishlist. You would still cook the pizza on the lower third rack. It just may take a few more minutes to bake.
Want More Pizza Recipes?
- Artisan Pear Prosciutto Pizza
- Pizza Stuffed Potato Skins
- Sourdough Cheese Pizza
- Pittsburgh Pierogi Pizza
- Apple Chicken Sausage Pizza
- 2 Simple Pizza Dough Balls
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded yellow cheddar, divided
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar, divided
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella, divided
- 1/2 cup ranch, regular
- 1/2 cup hot sauce/buffalo sauce
- 3 green onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped small (not shredded)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, full fat
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 Tbl buttermilk ranch seasoning
Make The Ranch Dipping Sauce
- In a food processor, blend together the sour cream, ricotta, and buttermilk ranch seasoning. Blend until combined. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve the pizza.
Make The Pizza Dough
- Mix the dough per the Simple Pizza Dough Balls instructions and let it perform the first rise. Once risen, bring the dough balls to room temperature if they were in the fridge.
- Add the canola oil to 2 flat pizza pans and, using a pastry brush, brush the bottom and sides with the canola oil.
- Place the dough ball on a lightly floured board and stretch out to a 12-13″x3-5″ rectangle. it’s OK if it doesn’t stretch out first. You just want to stretch it out into a rectangle.
- Place the lightly stretched dough to the oiled pizza pans and gently press it out towards the edges as much as possible without ripping it. If the dough springs back it’s ok. Cover the pan and dough with sprayed plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes to an hour or until the dough has puffed and spread out more towards the edges.
- Preheat the oven to 550F placing the rack on the lower third of the oven with a pizza stone on it. Add one more rack to the upper third. As the oven is heating up, uncover the pizza and gently push the dough out towards the edges of the flatbread pans.
- Once the oven is heated up, you want to par-bake the pizza crust. Place the flatbread pans on the pizza stone (lower third rack) and bake for 7-9 minutes or until the crust has just started to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and add the toppings.
Make the Buffalo Chicken mixture
- While the pizzas shells are cooking, make the buffalo mixture. In a bowl mix together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup each white and yellow cheddar, 1/4 cup mozzarella, ranch, and hot sauce/buffalo sauce until well blended. Stir in the chicken and half of the onion until combined.
Make the Pizza
- To the parbaked flatbread pizzas, evenly divide the buffalo chicken mixture and spread on top of each pizza crust. Next, in a bowl mix together the remaining cheeses and then add the cheese mixture evenly between both pizza crusts.
- Bake the pizza at 550, lower rack for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mixture is heated all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and, using a spatula or long server, carefully remove the pizza from the pan and place on a serving/cutting board. Cut the pizza into serving slices and top each piece, if desired, with ranch dipping sauce. Garnish with remaining green onions and enjoy!
*Prep time does not include making the pizza dough
- Stretch the dough out to cover the whole pan., par bake and top per the recipe above.
Keywords: buffalo chicken pizza, flatbread pizza, buffalo chicken flatbread, buffalo chicken pizza with ranch, best ever buffalo chicken, homemade flatbread pizza