Just 5 ingredients needed to make one of the best coleslaws you’ve ever had! Perfect as a side, snack, or on sandwiches!
This is another one of those “follow on” recipes that mention often on here and online. A “follow on recipe” is where I give you a great base recipe and then share with you follow on recipes that use it in new ways.
That’s this recipe.
I LOVE coleslaw but rarely do I eat the mayo-laden one.
I’m just not a huge fan of mayo as a condiment but it’s great in dishes as it adds great depth of flavor and creaminess. Like in this Honey Mustard Coleslaw.
Let’s Make This Recipe!
This recipe is crazy easy and uses THE BEST HOMEMADE HONEY MUSTARD in the world! Yes, it is AMAZING! Trust me, skip buying that bottled stuff and make mine!
All you need to make this is a few items that I’m sure you have on hand:
- Bag of coleslaw mix – you can easily make your own but I often just have the bagged stuff here
- Chopped Red Onion – or you could totally use a large shallot
- My Homemade Honey Mustard
- Apple Cider Vinegar – you really want to use this and not plain white vinegar
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Black Pepper
- Grab a big bowl and dump in the coleslaw mix.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Pour over the honey mustard and apple cider vinegar.
- Add over the salt and pepper
- Mix, cover and chill for at least an hour.
That’s it guys – really. It’s super easy!
The longer it chills out in the fridge the better it tastes. When you’re ready to serve, give it a stir, taste and if needed, add the rest of the honey mustard.
- As a side dish to your bbq/cookout
- As a big salad – add cooked chicken, shrimp and or bacon. Give it a toss and dig in!
- On a pulled pork or fried chicken sandwich like the one below
- Spice it up with some minced jalapeno peppers
- Dried Cranberries or raisins
- Toasted pecans or slivered almonds
- Shredded jicama
- Drizzle of sriracha
- 1 16-ounce bag coleslaw
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2–3/4 cup honey mustard dressing
- 3/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- In a bowl add the coleslaw mix and onions. Stir with a fork just to mix up.
- Add 1/2 cup of honey mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix to incorporate.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, stir and, if needed add the remaining honey mustard for a creamier coleslaw.
Time does not include chill time in the fridge.
Keywords: honey mustard coleslaw, creamy coleslaw, best coleslaw for sandwiches, sweet and spicy coleslaw, apple cider coleslaw