One of the best spice blends that you’ll ever have in your pantry! A blend of sweet heat to liven up your poultry, seafood, and burgers!
Growing up, Hatch Chilis was not something readily available or pepper I had ever had. Mom didn’t cook with various spices like that. Oh sure she’d use the standard seasonings but she was not one to venture out past her comfort zone. It wasn’t out of fear but rather, stuff like this just wasn’t around.
It wasn’t until I really got into cooking did I realize that there’s a whole world out there of spices, flavor profiles, and yes, peppers.
Today, I envy our kids in regards to the exposure they have to a complete world of foods, flavors, and ingredients. With the start of food magazines, the variety of food television networks and programs, to the Internet – and we can’t forget about social media, food in all of its delicious glory is everywhere.
One of the best things about my company and being a Chef is I’m afforded the incredible opportunities to meet brands and engage with them. Take Melissa’s Produce for example. I have bought their products for years before actually meeting their folks at a food convention. While walking through their amazing displays (seriously it was one of the best displays I have EVER seen in my career), I spied their Hatch Chili Powder. Having sampled some of their foods with it on, I was immediately in love.
On its own, it’s incredible but you know me, I wanted to use it in a full-on seasoning mix. Something that could go on chicken, shrimp, veggies, and even pizza.
That is what this seasoning mix is! I’ve used this blend on thousands of dishes and everyone just goes nuts over it. I’m pretty sure you will too!
Let’s Make Candied Hatch Chili Seasoning
You’ll need a few ingredients that should already be in your pantry. If you do not yet have the Hatch Chili Powder, trust me – you’ll want it! I use it ALL THE TIME!
- Spices – Garlic Powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne, salt, pepper, and the Red Hatch Chili Powder
- Sweet – Light Brown Sugar
- Lidded Glass Jar – I like storing my spices in a glass jar
Mix it up!
So for this “recipe” if you can even call it that, you can use either a bowl and whisk or add it to a blender and process it. It makes no difference which one you use.
- Grab a bowl and add all of the ingredients to a bowl (or a blender).
- Whisk/Process until fully combined.
Seriously, it’s THAT EASY!
Jar It Up!
Once it’s all mixed up, transfer to a clear jar with a lid. I find it easier to use a funnel to pour it all into the jar.
I cannot pour stuff from a huge bowl into a small opening without spillage. Mr. Fantabulous can. Not sure how he does that but I’m thinking it has to do with Ninja skills. lol
How to Store This Seasoning
Like all dried spices, store in an airtight container in a dark & dry area (pantry or cupboard).
Chef’s Tip on Clumping
What I noticed is that if this sits unused for a few weeks it may clump together. That’s due to the brown sugar in it. I’ve added about a tsp of corn starch to the mix to help keep it ‘dry’. Using such a sparse amount doesn’t alter the flavor or texture. Or if desired, you can leave the corn starch out, and before use, just break any clumps up by hand or in a food processor.
Ways To Use This Spice Blend
This is such a versatile and truly delicious spice blend. It’s such a great balance of sweet and heat.
- Seafood – this on grilled, baked, or sauteed shrimp with a squeeze of citrus is amazing
- Fajitas – whether it’s steak, chicken, or even portabello, this spice blend is perfect on it
- Burgers – add some to your burger mixture and on your burgers before grilling them. Top with some Pepper Jack cheese and green chilis for a southwestern flair!
- Chicken – I love adding this to grilled or baked chicken. Pat the chicken dry, drizzle with oil, and then add a few Tbl of the spice mixture to coat evenly. Bake or grill until the internal temp is 165F.
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbl oregano
- 1 Tbl plus 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4–1 tsp cayenne *go with your preferred spice level
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbl Melissa’s Produce Authentic New Mexico Red Hatch Chili Powder
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined. If desired, place everything in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 months.
Keywords: Candied Hatch Chili Seasoning, homemade seasoning, red hatch chili, new Mexico chilis, hatch chili powder, southwestern burger, best burger spices, hatch chili shrimp, hatch chili chicken #hatchchili