These brownie dessert sandwiches are soft, creamy, fudgy, and are the perfect anytime treat!
Make up a few batches and freeze for up to 2 months. I can’t think of anything more satisfying than after a great meal with friends, pulling these beauties out of the freezer! Luscious and creamy – it’s a total win for the host!
Grab your ingredients
This is such a fun, easy, and DELICIOUS treat that folks will love. Before you grab the kiddos and head off to your local Walmart to pick up these ingredients, make sure you download the Ibotta app. Once installed, search for Walmart and the savings for the below products. I’ve been using Ibotta for years and absolutely love it.
What I also love about it is you can search within it for savings for Walmart – either in the store, pick up, or delivery! With how busy I am these days, I love that I can use Ibotta in conjunction with the Walmart app and do all of my shopping. Within Ibotta and the Walmart section, search for the Edy’s/Dreyer’s ice cream savings special. Next, I add it to my cart, pay, and schedule my pickup time. Once I pay, it syncs with the Ibotta app and automatically adds my savings and money back to my account!
All I have left to do is just jump in my car, head to my local Walmart, park in the pick-up area and have my groceries loaded into my trunk. Seriously, this is SUCH a huge help for busy folks like myself!
- 18.5-ounce boxed brownie mix – yes, really. Just be sure it does not have add-ins.
- Canola Oil
- Espresso Powder
- Cocoa Powder
- Toppings – chopped chocolate, dried marshmallows
- Edy’s/Dreyer’s The Original Rocky Road ice cream
- Edy’s/Dreyer’s Brownie Brick Road ice cream
Chef Tips for Amazing Boxed Brownies
- You only want to use the brownie mix, that’s it. Pitch the box. Heck, don’t even read it.
- You want to make them as cake-like brownies. Trust me on this, they will be fudgy but have a more firm texture than a traditional 2-egg batter.
- Use buttermilk. Not regular milk, not water, but buttermilk.
- Add extra canola oil. Most box mixes only call for 1/2 cup. We’re all 3/4 cup. THIS is where you get the fudgieness.
- Spray your pan and then line it with parchment leaving 2-3″ of an overhang sleeve.
- Finally, once they are cooled, wrap them up and put the entire pan in the fridge overnight. You want these super cold for cutting and assembling.
Adding Toppings To The Brownies
Let’s Assemble Deliciousness!
- Allow the Edy’s/Dreyer’s Original Rocky Road and Brownie Brick Road ice creams to soften enough to get a scoop that is soft enough to press down onto the brownie.
- For the Edy’s/Dreyer’s Original Rocky Road ice cream, grab 3-4 brownie marshmallow pieces and add a scoop of the ice cream.
- For the Edy’s/Dreyer’s Brownie Brick Road, grab 3-4 brownie pieces with the chocolate and add a scoop of the ice cream.
- Immediately place a top on and wrap with parchment or wax paper. This will make 3-4 sandwiches per flavor
For the plain ones, you could do half and half with the ice cream. You do not have to make it plain, you could do half marshmallow and half chocolate if you wanted. I just went with some plain because I wanted the ice cream to be the sole focus.
How to Store
As I mentioned earlier, I’ll make up a few trays of brownies, assemble, wrap, and freeze these for up to a month in the freezer. I write on the outside of the freezer bag which flavor it is and when I made them.
Since the brownies have more oil than traditional they are perfect right out of the freezer. Or, if you’re like Mr. Fantabulous, take one out and let it sit for a minute to get soft and where the ice cream is just starting to soften.
Season of Yum!
- Movie night at home – these would be a great treat to serve instead of popcorn!
- With school starting up, make this the perfect after-school treat!
- Get some dry ice (handle it with precaution), and put these in a cooler with the ice, and take them to a friend’s house!
- Treat the family to their own Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich bar!
- 1 18.5 ounce box Brownie Mix (no add-ins)
- 3 Xl eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract *omit if you do not have
- 1/4 cup dried mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate
- 3–4 (1/2-cup sized) scoops of Edy’s/Dreyer’s The Original Rocky Road ice cream
- 3–4 (1/2-cup sized) scoops of Edy’s/Dreyer’s Brownie Brick Road ice cream
Make the Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9×13” baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment leaving ‘wings’ to allow for easy lifting.
- Empty the contents of the brownie mix into a bowl. Add in the eggs, canola oil, buttermilk, espresso powder, cocoa powder, sea salt, and chocolate extract. Whisk until well blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the dried marshmallows into a single, long row. Leave the next row as-is (if desired) and to the last row, sprinkle on the chopped chocolate. Bake for ~17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean with a few crumbs.
- Place on a cooling rack until cool. Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours if not overnight.
- The next day, cut the brownies into 18 pieces or fewer pieces if you want bigger ice cream sandwiches.
Assemble the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Allow the Edy’s/Dreyer’s Original Rocky Road and Brownie Brick Road Ice Cream to soften enough to get a scoop that is soft enough to press down onto the brownie.
- For the Edy’s/Dreyer’s Original Rocky Road Ice Cream, grab 3-4 brownie marshmallow pieces and add a scoop of the ice cream. Immediately place a top on and wrap with parchment or wax paper. This will make 3-4 sandwiches (one side will be marshmallows and the other side may be the plain).
- For the Edy’s/Dreyer’s Brownie Brick Road, grab 3-4 brownie pieces with the chocolate and add a scoop of the ice cream. Immediately place a top on and wrap with parchment or wax paper. This will make 3-4 sandwiches (one side will be marshmallows and the other side may be the plain).
- If you have leftover plain brownie pieces, add either ice cream or a little bit of both. Wrap with parchment or wax paper.
- Place the brownie ice cream sandwiches in the freezer until firm then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag. Enjoy as desired.
*Time does not include refrigerating the brownies
Keywords: Brownie Rocky Road Ice Cream Sandwiches, doctored up brownie mix, box brownie mix tip, rocky road ice cream, dreyer's ice cream, brownie brick road ice cream, summer ice cream, season of yum, #icecreamsandwiches #brownieicecreamsandwich