Just 20 minutes is all you need to ripen even the greenest of bananas to perfect ripeness for baking!
For those times that you NEED banana bread in your life, or an amazing banana muffin and all of your bananas are not ripe, I have you covered! I’ll show you my favorite way to quickly ripen bananas!
What Color Banana Do You Like?
It’s funny as to eat bananas I actually prefer them unripe with a tinge of green Mr. Fantabulous is full on team bright yellow banana. My one brother actually prefers to eat black bananas.
Yes, I gagged at that idea too. But it’s his preference so it’s all good. I don’t judge.
My Favorite Technique
This is my favorite technique as I can do it in the home oven or on the grill. I find it develops such an incredible depth of flavor and brings out their natural sweetness even more!
20 Minutes is all you need*
Now I put the * as it will depend on how large your banana is. The smaller ones, naturally, will take less time than say the ones that are ginormous.
- Preheat the oven or grill.
- Place the bananas on a sheet pan (you can add parchment paper but it’s not necessary).
- Roast for 20-30 minutes. Pull them out of the oven and allow them to cool until they are cool to the touch.
- Simply peel, mash, and use! That’s it!
Other Methods to Ripen Bananas
So yes, there are other methods. It honestly depends on your patience.
- Paper Bag – place bananas and an apple or avocado in a brown paper bag, loosely folding over the top. The bag will trap the ethylene gas produced, circulate around the fruit, and ripen it in roughly 24-36 hours.
- On the bunch – by keeping them together on the bunch, they will ripen faster and almost ripen at the same time
- 6 bananas
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the bananas on a rimmed baking sheet (parchment is optional) leaving space between each banana.
- Depending on the size of your banana, bake for 20-30 minutes or until the peel has turned black.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow it to cool before peeling.
- Once cooled, peel, mash, and use in your favorite baked goods!
Keywords: How To Quickly Ripen Bananas, ripe bananas, banana bread, roasted bananas, black bananas, banana muffins, chef tips, #greenbananas #howtoripenbananas