Ever since I posted that Smoked Chili Candied Bacon (aka Man Candy) I’ve been getting a ton of requests for other ‘Man Candy’ flavors. Now before I go on, the term ‘Man Candy’ does not apply that it’s meant just for men. Oh hell no… I’m all woman and I LOVE me some bacon in a big way! Now don’t even start with the “but you love pigs, bacon is made from pigs… how can you eat bacon?” That’s easy to answer. Bacon is made from ugly pigs and not the cute ones. LOL I don’t eat cute piggies. HAHA Oh shush… cows are cute we eat beef. Fish are cute and we eat seafood. Flowers and grass is pretty and we eat that so stuff it.
I. EAT. BACON. pfft!
And let me tell you what after make this flavor, I ate A LOT of it! Like I had to run like Forrest Gump days on end just to work it off but people it was worth it! And FYI…. yes, you can make this with turkey bacon too if you don’t want the little piggy bacon. Remember.. you only eat the ugly pig bacon though, Kapeesh?!
Lately Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce has become my go-to condiment. Now coming from a woman who has Heinz Ketchup running through her veins (c’mon.. I’m from Pittsburgh just like how we bleed black ‘n gold, ketchup is in our soul!) this is a pretty big deal. I’ve used this stuff in a ton of recipes lately (Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups, Ginger Asian Turkey Burgers with Sweetened Chili Lime Sauce and even a cure for your nasty hangover Hair of the Dog Ultimate Bloody Mary Hangover Cure .
Therefore it was only befitting that I incorporate this lusciously sinful hot sauce into bacon.
Now as this was baking the smell was pretty intoxicating and strong. I went for a mild-medium heat and my eyes were starting to tingle a little. I suspect that if I doubled the amount of hot sauce on this that I would be full blown tears. Not this may not happen to you. I’m hypersensitive to smells and stuff like this but if it does, just use caution and make sure to not touch your eyes or face with the sauce on it. When this came out of the oven the intensity of the heat died down and the smells were so warm and inviting. You just literally wanted to curl up next to this bacon, hug it, call it your friend.. and then eat the entire pan in front of the world unapologetically. LOL
… and that my dear TKW family is exactly what I did (well meaning I ate the entire pan) but we won’t tell my trainer that, k?!
Just look at it glistening in the sun. All that glorious hot sauce with just a hint of spice and sweetness; married in a way that only God intended.
That’s what you have in this dish. This is your appetizer, your snack, your dinner, your dessert… this is YOURS. So um yeah, make a double batch cause you’re not gonna want to share this. Even with those you love the mostest!
I can see it in your eyes..
Sriracha Spiced Bacon – Man Candy II
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- 1 lb thick cut bacon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-2 teaspoon Sriracha Chili sauce *the extra teaspoon is optional as it depends on your spice level tolerance
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine brown sugar, Sriracha sauce and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place a wire cooling rack on top.
- Spray the rack with cooking spray.
- Place the pieces of bacon on top of the rack trying not to overlap.
- Microwave the spice mixture for 15-20 seconds until it’s spreadable.
- Spoon or brush the mixture on top of the bacon.
- Place in oven and cook for 13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and flip the bacon.
- Reheat the spice mixture. If necessary add the water to help make it spreadable.
- Spoon or brush the mixture on top of the bacon
- Return to the oven and cook for 13 minutes.
- If the bacon is not crispy enough (remember it’ll crisp up as it cools), flip the bacon over, spoon any remaining spice mixture and bake for a few more minutes. OR you can broil for 1 minute each side but watch as this will burn.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool 1 minute on the rack and then using cooking tongs, remove the bacon from the rack and plate.
Srirarcha Hot Chili Sauce is typically found in the Asian section of your supermarket or in specialty shops.
To help simplify clean up, as these are cooling, fill your sink up with hot soapy water. Remove the bacon from the racks and immediately put your cooling racks in the water. Let soak for 5-10 minutes and clean up is a breeze! *Note – make sure your cooling racks can be submerged in water first!
HEY HEY HEY! No licking the screen! But it’s as if you can almost smell it, can’t you?!
Come closer to the screen…
stare at it…
now go make it!
Apologize to no one for eating this either cause I surely didn’t! LOL
Recipe Reviews & Comments
Joe Davis says
So good! I used Splenda brown sugar and it worked really well. Don’t get rid of the foil too quick. The “candy” in the pan will harden and is pretty tasty. 😜
I love this bacon recipe! I will make it again today for Bloody Mary garnish!
Lyse Lajoie says
Can they be made a day ahead and stay crispy?
Yes they can but they will need to be reheated to get back to that crispy state.
Best Kitchen Wishes!