The other day I had an overabundance of blueberries. See I went to Costco and bought this big container of fresh blueberries on Friday after work then Saturday I ended up having to go to Sam’s club, forgot I bought blueberries the day before and ended up buying ANOTHER huge container. Yeah… needless to say I had waaaaaaaay too many. I could only make so many muffins, pancakes and blueberry sauce out of them. I wanted something that represented summer. To me blueberries and lemons are the quintessential summer flavor. Well okay next to watermelon, strawberries, raspberries, peaches… yeah, you get the gist. Go with it. And that point in time, summer tasted like blueberries and lemons. LOL
This cake was so moist and tender. The flavors were clean and bright and just all around amazing. I could so see having this dessert for a Sunday brunch with your girlfriends sipping a cup of tea.
Like for me, if I lived like Giada and had that beach front property (color me jealous), I would serve this outside on a gorgeous summer day with a slight breeze, drinking Mimosas with my friends, having some canapes and this for dessert.
So Giada.. if you’re reading this, first.. Thank You and second… call me 🙂 Let’s so make this and do brunch.
… sigh, a girl can dream, right?
This cake is pretty simple to make and is good for you. It has no oil but rather healthy ingredients – apple sauce, greek yogurt.
Now if you didn’t have blueberries, you could easily substitute fresh raspberries as well.Print
- 1/2 cup greek toasted coconut yogurt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
- 1/2 cup natural apple sauce
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Lemon Syrup Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray and flour a 10” spring form pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, sugar and eggs together until well combined.
- Add in the lemon oil, lemon zest and apple sauce.
- Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the 1 1/2 cups of flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and coconut.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir together batter is smooth and homogeneous.
- In a separate bowl, add in the blueberries and 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Gently mix to coat the blueberries.
- Dump in the blueberries (and flour) into the batter and gently fold in.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the sides of the cake have slightly pulled away from the pan.
- Remove from the oven and take a thin blade to go around the end of the cake.
- Gently release the latch and remove the side of the spring form pan.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled garnish with fresh blueberries, drizzle Lemon Syrup Glaze
- on top.
If you didn’t want blueberries you could easily use fresh raspberries