You all know that my all time absolute FAVORITE food is pizza. And you also know that I’ve had a bbq since 1996 that doesn’t work, has been converted from push button ignite to propane to charcoal to propane (lighting with a stick lighter.. yeah so not safe), to charcoal to now some critter/creepy crawly thing’s home for the past 2 years. Mr. Fantabulous and I have been at odds over this for the past 7 years that we’ve lived in this house. It is a very, VERY, sore subject for me and one that, even in jest, will result in my infamous stink-eye. I want a new one, he says “No, I’ll build you an outdoor one”… that was 7 years ago. Yeah… ANYWAY… I’ve learned to adapt ‘grilling’ indoors.
Now before I continue, I could easily go out and buy one and he could care less but now, after 7 years it’s principle. Plus I’m holding him to that offer to build me one. He’s the one that suffers (well okay I do to but he doesn’t need to know that) when we’re outside and smell other peoples’ cookouts. I just sit there smugly as he grumbles under his breath about that promise. Yep, I am stubborn.
Anyway, back to pizza. I love, love, LOVE grilled pizza but again, I can’t grill on a ‘real grill’ so I’ve had to adapt. And folk lemme tell you what, this adapted BEAUTIFULLY! Same grill marks, same grill crispiness, same awesometastic flavor. I’d say the only thing missing would be that ‘grill’ scent you can only truly get from a grill/bbq. Find a scented candle and voila! You’re golden! haha
Yeah I’m talking Indoor Grilled Traditional Pizza people! For those of you that don’t have a grill/bbq for whatever reason, this is all for you!
Look at that char around the edges!
That flowing golden melted cheese just begging to touch your lips!
Yeah… I went there. I know all of you Grill Masters will scoff at an ‘indoor grilled pizza’. I’m telling you folks, this is the real deal. This puppy is off da hook mad crazy awesometastic!
Wait huh? Did I just turn like 14 there for a second? Off da hook mad crazy awesometastic??? LOL Good lord I need a vacation!
Just sit there and stare at it while I shovel a piece in my mouth…
- 1 Pizza dough (makes 2 12” pizzas)
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 2 cups pizza sauce (can use more or less per liking)
- 3 cups part skim mozzarella, shredded
- 3 cups part skim provolone, shredded
- 10-20 fresh basil leaves
- *See Note
- Place the grill pan on the burner, brush the bottom and the sides of the pan with a thin coating of oil and heat over medium high heat.
- While the pan is heating up, stretch out your dough to the circumference of your pan.
- When the pan is hot enough (it’ll start to slightly smoke) place the dough on the bottom of the pan. I just place it in fast (but safely) and straighten out the dough. If you don’t feel comfortable with that, drape your dough over a rolling a pin (oil side out) and transfer it to your pan.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom starts to produce grill marks.
- Remove the lid and using a heat-safe spatula, flip the dough, cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid, flip and working fast top with your sauce and cheeses.
- Replace the lid and cook for 1 minute.
- Uncover and cook for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
- Remove from the pan with large spatula and top with fresh basil leaves.
- Repeat steps to make the second pizza.
This recipe will make 2 pizzas.
Special equipment needed
12-14” Stove top grill pan with lid or Cast Iron grill pan with lid