Creamy, luscious, and oh-so-addictive is this Roasted Tomatoes Shallots Garlic & Feta spread. Warm & creamy feta paired with roasted tomatoes, shallots, and garlic in a seasoned olive oil sauce will make this one of your most requested appetizers.
By now I’m sure you’ve seen posted all pretty much any social media platform the viral video of tomatoes and a block of feta baked then warm pasta dumped in. It’s good for sure but for me, someone that doesn’t eat pasta that often, I wanted to put my own spin on it.
I’m a dipper. What I mean is I’m all about crostini, chips, veggies, and some type of dip to use them in.
This recipe uses my FAVORITE type of shallot by Melissa’s Produce – French Echalion Shallots. Now there’s not much difference in taste between these and the types you normally find in grocery stores but there’s just something magical about these ones.
They are elongated and way easier to peel than traditional shallots. Plus they are bigger and this girl LOVES baked/roasted shallots.
Grab Your Ingredients
What I love about recipes like this (other than them being incredibly delicious and easy) is that they pretty much use basic pantry items.
- Oil – I have been using Corto TRULY EVOO for quite a while and honestly LOVE IT!
- Herbs & Seasonings
Let’s Make Baked Feta Spread!
When you make this recipe, there’s no “Oh this goes in first, then this, and you have to do it all in this order.” It’s literally a slice, dump, drizzle, sprinkle, bake
- Slice each tomato in half and place cut side up in an 11″x8″ rectangle baker or 9″ Pie Dish.
- Slice the shallots in 1/4″ rounds and smash the garlic, discarding the peels.
Chef’s Tip on How to Smash Garlic
- Place a garlic clove on the cutting board.
- Take a large-bladed knife and place the flat side down, on top of the clove with the sharp side away from you.
- Firmly press your palm down onto the flat side of the knife (keep your fingers away from the blade) and apply pressure until it flattens.
- At this point, the peel will slip right off!
- Place the garlic and shallots into the baking dish.
- Top with the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, half of the fresh oregano, and the olive oil.
At this point, had it not been for raw garlic, I would have eaten this as-is.
- Give the mixture a quick stir to ensure that the seasonings and oil are coating everything.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until the garlic is soft and smush when pressed with a fork.
- Using the back of a fork, smash the garlic cloves and tomatoes until no huge chunks remain.
- Give it a stir to help blend it all together.
- Top the tomato mixture with the crumbled feta. If necessary, spread out the feta into an even layer.
- Pop this back into the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until the feta softens and starts to just melt slightly into the bubbling tomato mixture.
- Add the rest of the oregano.
- If desired, give it a stir (like I did) and serve!
What to Serve With This Recipe
Since I had those little naan pieces on hand, I went with those. They are perfect for dipping!
- Tortilla Chips
- Veggie sticks
Recipe Tips and Suggestions
This works AWESOME on a flatbread pizza crust with grilled shrimp and chicken.
- Fresh Basil
- Cheese – swap the feta for goat or mozzarella
- Double up on the garlic or feta
- 6–8 tomatoes, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 French Echalion shallots (or 3 large regular ones)
- 1 tsp each sea salt & crushed peppercorns
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbl fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Crostini, toast, naan
- Preheat oven to 400F. To a baking dish add the tomatoes, garlic, shallots, seasonings, half of the oregano, and olive oil. Give it a stir.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven, and carefully smash the garlic and tomatoes. Stir them and top them with the feta. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the feta gets soft.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: Roasted Tomatoes Shallots Garlic & Feta Spread, baked dip, cheesy dip, pasta sauce, toast toppings, pizza toppings, french echalion shallots, roasted garlic, hot dip, viral feta recipe, baked feta dip with tomatoes