A collection of summer-inspired “no-oven-required” salads and slaws to help you beat the heat. Enjoy summer deliciously!
No Oven Needed
Living in Arizona for over 2 years I’ve come to TRULY appreciate air conditioning! Today it’s 103F and tomorrow it’s to be 106F. It’ll remain at these temps (or higher) until August/September. This means the kitchen oven will be sparingly turned n.
80% of all meals will be cooked outside on the grills, in the pizza oven, in the Instant Pot, or in the Instant Pot Slow Cooker. The remaining 20% will be no-oven-required like the side salads and slaws below.
Perfect For Cookouts
When I think of dishes like this I think of what’s a good thing to make for a cookout or bbq. I’m going to be as real as it gets here. While I TRULY appreciate it when someone brings a dish to a party I’m having, it’s a HUGE inconvenience to bring something that requires the host to:
- Assemble or heat it up for you
- Provide ice to keep it chilled (like mayo things)
- Dig around for spare spatulas, serving spoons, or the like
It’s harsh to hear but unless you’ve never ever hosted a party of any size, it can be A LOT of work. Don’t add more.
- Bring a couple of $1 disposal utensils or spatulas.
- Ice…BRING ice and a cooler
- When bringing a hot dish, bring it so you can just plug it in there (like a slow cooker) or that is meat to be eaten warm/room temp.
Not All Salads Need Lettuce
Maybe it’s an age thing but when I talk with folks it’s interesting to discuss ‘salads’ with folks and then mention a ‘non-lettuce’ salad with them. Depending on their age/generation I get “Oh yes that’s awesome!” or “No, salads are lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc“.
I’m fortunate as I’m on that age cusp where I believe both types/styles are salads. What about you?